We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Holt or Hotel Borg? Early Check-in?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Hotel Holt or Hotel Borg? Early Check-in?

For some reason I'm finding myself drawn to Borg or Holt. I definitely want a hotel, as opposed to a guest house or apartment.

Anyone have feelings one way or the other about either of these hotels? Will I be able to go and walk the town at night and come home safely and easily? Or will I need taxis...

Most importantly: my flight gets into Keflavik at 6:30 am., and I'm going to need a couple of hours of sleep prior to my afternoon tour. Will either of these hotels give me my room early?

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Borg by Keahotels
Hotel Borg by Keahotels
1,263 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Hotel Holt
Hotel Holt
1,205 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Keflavik
Keflavik
Reykjanesbaer, Iceland
Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,497 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Holt or Hotel Borg? Early Check-in?

H. Borg is right in ,,the mayhem" of things, smack down town. But Holt is a little (300 metres) away, and well within walking distance in a quiet residential area.

For early check in, just ask the hotels, I´m sure it´s not a big problem in the winter.

B-)

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Borg by Keahotels
Hotel Borg by Keahotels
1,263 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Hotel Holt
Hotel Holt
1,205 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Holt or Hotel Borg? Early Check-in?

Is it safe to walk around at night in that residential area that the hotel is in?

Mountain View...
Level Contributor
799 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Holt or Hotel Borg? Early Check-in?

Also consider hotels Reykjavík Centrum and Radisson 1919. Both are excellent, within a stone's throw of Borg, but not as affected by late night revelry.

PS: Yes, very safe to walk around. However, as always exercise common sense and caution when wandering around at night (especially ladies).

Edited: 23 September 2011, 15:20
Mentioned in this post
Hotel Reykjavik Centrum
Hotel Reykjavik Centrum
1,913 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Hotel Borg by Keahotels
Hotel Borg by Keahotels
1,263 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Holt or Hotel Borg? Early Check-in?

I've chosen the Borg. I loved the pictures I saw of the Radisson Blu 1919, but the prices was a good deal higher than the internet special the Borg had. Their rack rates are the same, but with the special discount that Borg had for the non-refundable room (which is fine since I have travel insurance for the trip if I needed to cancel it), that made my decision for me. Plus I called them to ask about early check in and luggage storage while I'm off on my tour on the day I check out, and they couldn't have been nicer. They, of course, had to say that they couldn't guarantee early check in - which is completely understandable - if the rooms are full, they're full, and I can't very well crawl into bed with the previous night's guest if they haven't vacated yet! But he did say that if the room WERE available that there would be no problem with me taking it. And he assured me that the luggage storage area was secure and locked. So I feel very good about this. And it does look like a really cool hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Borg by Keahotels
Hotel Borg by Keahotels
1,263 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
5. Re: Hotel Holt or Hotel Borg? Early Check-in?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 04:18
;