We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baby (1 year old) friendly day trips from Reykjavík

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Baby (1 year old) friendly day trips from Reykjavík

Hi guys,

Me and my wife will be travelling to Reykjavík in July this year with our 1 year old daughter. We are arriving Thursday 15:00 and returning back on Sunday 08:00 . Could you please suggest two day trips (Friday and Saturday) which are doable with a kid(1 year old). I am considering the classic golden circle tour as one of the option. I wasnt sure about the other day trips with kid. Do the tour busses have place for baby strollers. Thanks in advance. Happy travels :)

Ujjwal

11 replies to this topic
Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
10,776 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Baby (1 year old) friendly day trips from Reykjavík

Strollers are not enough. The baby has to be in an approved child seat whenever it is in a car. I'm not sure what companies offer people to bring an infant. My first advice would be against it, as the baby doesn't care what you are doing. It needs whatever it needs whenever it needs it, and doesn't comply to a group schedule.

Edited: 25 May 2018, 07:00
2. Re: Baby (1 year old) friendly day trips from Reykjavík

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2018, 02:51

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
12,759 posts
88 reviews
3. Re: Baby (1 year old) friendly day trips from Reykjavík

Keep in mind that most day tours in Iceland are long (8+ hours) and on a fixed schedule, so no option for breaks when you child might need one.

I think self-driving and being on your own schedule would be a much better choice with a baby. Then maybe you could drive the Golden Circle and the Reykjanes Peninsula with plenty of breaks.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Baby (1 year old) friendly day trips from Reykjavík

Thanks for your reply. I will get back to you :)

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Baby (1 year old) friendly day trips from Reykjavík

Thanks for the suggestions. Appreciate it :)

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
6,032 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Baby (1 year old) friendly day trips from Reykjavík

For July I strongly recommend self driving. You could go at your own pace and make changes based on how your child is doing. As mentioned bus tours are very long, and not many will take children that young.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Baby (1 year old) friendly day trips from Reykjavík

Hi, thanks for the helpful suggestions :) . After googling and reading other posts about travelling with babies, I have decided to do the Golden Circle Expire tour by GreyLine. This is for 6 hours and should be manageable. Another trip is a 6 hour trip to Reykjanes by Gateway to Iceland. Is it safe for a 1 year old to visit Reykjanes as the reviews suggest strong sulphur smell in some areas.

Also, I was exploring the possibility of taking the Stræto bus to Vik and back to see the black sand beach. But I wasn't sure of the stops. Can you please advice if it is doable on the public bus.

Many thanks

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
12,759 posts
88 reviews
8. Re: Baby (1 year old) friendly day trips from Reykjavík

The public bus does not stop at Reynisfjara.

I would still recommend self-driving with a child that young. That way you could stop when you need to for feeding her or changing diapers, could take a break when you need to and would not be on a fixed schedule.

It might also be nicer for the people on the tour, because it your daughter does get tired or cranky half-way into the tour it might also impact their enjoyment.

The sulfur smell should not be a problem, but if you worry about it you could stay away from the geothermal areas Seltún/Krýsuvík and Gunnuhver.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Baby (1 year old) friendly day trips from Reykjavík

Thanks for the pointers Kim. I haven't driven before with my kid. Hence I am quite skeptical in self driving in Iceland as I read the weather tends to change a lot during a day and might become challenging for me. My kid has already been on 10 flights, few of them long haul. So I am reasonably confident that she might be OK with the sitting for about a couple of hours between stops. I will probably do the golden circle express route on the second day and book the other tour depending on how she handles the trip. Thanks again for the helpful pointers.

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
12,759 posts
88 reviews
10. Re: Baby (1 year old) friendly day trips from Reykjavík

She may enjoy Laugardalslaug pool in Reykjavík as well as the petting zoo nearby.

Reply to: Baby (1 year old) friendly day trips from Reykjavík
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted