We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern Lights in October 2013?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
114 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Northern Lights in October 2013?

Hi,

I was planning Iceland as my summer destination, when I suddenly realised that I should postpone it to October (my next leave comes up in October only) and get lucky with Northern Lights - 2013 being a peak solar year.

However, some research later, I realised October is also the wettest month in Iceland. Less chances of clear skies, hence less chances of Auroras!

Wanted to ask if anyone's been to Iceland in mid October and got lucky with the lights.

Also, if I plan to catch the lights from the north of the country, can anyone suggest a bus/ guided tour for the same. Where should I spend the night for maximum visibility of the lights, up in the north.

Any advice/ suggestion would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,778 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern Lights in October 2013?

October was the best month in Northern lights this winter, we had good lights more than 20 days. Overall dry and clear in the south.

But November, December and so far January have been horrible. Little activity and cloudy nights with few exceptions.

So there goes statistics.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern Lights in October 2013?

Yeah it seems like statistics regarding weather and Iceland obey other rules than you would normally expect. October through March all have chance of seeing the lights (plus a month or so on both ends).

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
16 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern Lights in October 2013?

We were in Iceland the week of Sept 24th 2012. We saw the Northern Lights from the Volcano Hotel just before Vik around 10pm. We were sound asleep with our baby and were awoken by the hotel owner to come see them. We were so happy that we did not miss it!

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Northern Lights in October 2013?

Hi,

Came across your posts, I was planning a trip to Iceland on the first week of November to catch the new moon. I'm guessing moving the trip to around Oct 15 is better?

Thanks!

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Northern Lights in October 2013?

Sorry, I think October 4?

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,778 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Northern Lights in October 2013?

There is no saying which month is best, and weather statistics do not apply, simply because weather and climate is changing to fast up here. And there are no two years alike.

Dark winter nights get longer until about Dec 2., and from there they get shorter. And no dark nights from May until August.

Obviously you need darkness to see the lights, so longer dark nights are best, because there is longer timeframe for you to see them. Sun storms can happen anytime in the 24 hours of the day, but are only visible in darkness.

So far, the best show this year, in the south was 12 & 13 Feb. and 1. and 9. March were also very good.

The statistic about clear nights have no meaning either, there are no two years alike. Last winter was very good here in the south, but this winter hasn´t been as good. The same goes for the north.

The best people do, is just come, plan other activities during the day, and hoping for clear, active nights as a good bonus.

If the priority is to see and enjoy the lights, you have to have your own car, or hire a private guide, and be ready to travel far without notice, and pay for it, since weather can change very suddenly.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Northern Lights in October 2013?

I guess it'll be a gamble then, still very excited to visit your country. Thanks icelandicguide!

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,778 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Northern Lights in October 2013?

You´re always welcome !

And may the Force be with you, and grant you the best show on earth.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/…

Qatar
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Northern Lights in October 2013?

I am also planning a trip to Iceland in Oct 13. I have my fingers crossed and hope to see this phenomenon. It is once in a life time of course. I will be using one of the excursion companies and a tour, only because they would know where to take us to show the lights. I think the excursion offers a return tour the following night in case you miss it the first time. Which excursion tours- if any, are you planning to take @Tickling_Feet, also any excursion tour operator suggestions from you @icelandicguide

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,778 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Northern Lights in October 2013?

I recommend www.gatewaytoiceland.is for coach tour, and www.tourguide.is for super jeep tour.

https:/…

https:/…