We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train from Helsinki to Joensuu

Which Helsinki hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
darlington
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
train from Helsinki to Joensuu

We are travelling my train from Helsinki to Joensuu on 30 June. Whereabouts on the train should we request our seats? And, what's the food like on Finnish trains? Or is there an M&S equivalent at the station to buy provisions - incl wine?

Thanks

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
4,921 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train from Helsinki to Joensuu

Haha wine? Strictly resticted in Finland, only state owned speciality store Alko is allowed to sell wine. There are Alkos near the Railway station though.

I pick my seats from the upper floor, not that there is much to see on the way, but anyway. If you have special requirements there are lots of different seats available, with PC plugs, table, kids playground, pets, allergic...

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
390 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train from Helsinki to Joensuu

You can buy wine and other alcoholic beverages on board, though. Selection is very limited.

Food quality is about as good as airline food - not good ;)

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train from Helsinki to Joensuu

You might also have to leave the alcoholic "snacks" unopened on the train, as you're only allowed to drink alcohol served by the restaurant car staff.

Actually I've always found the food quality on the train way better than airline food, but of course you'll have to take into account the circumstances where the food is served and prepared.

Furthermore, it is often more costworthy to eat a proper meal/food portion on a restaurant car than a sandwich and a drink. The menu of the restaurant car depends on the type of train and the actual restaurant car put on the train: vr.fi/en/…ravintolapalvelut.html .

Online menus are only available in Finnish, but maybe you can make something out of them with e.g. Google translator: translate.google.com/translate…

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
4,921 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train from Helsinki to Joensuu

"You might also have to leave the alcoholic "snacks" unopened on the train, as you're only allowed to drink alcohol served by the restaurant car staff."

Yep, the legislation in Finland regarding alcohol is very weird. However I often have something for the road in train incl alcoholic beverages. Just don't make a number, use a plastic mug etc.

Food in the train is mediocre microwave food, not too bad as such, but highly overpriced.

5. Re: train from Helsinki to Joensuu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 05:41