We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for log cabin

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
28 posts
81 reviews
28 helpful votes
Looking for log cabin

Hi there,

we will travel to Finland on this Sunday with our 2,5 years old boy. Our aim is to have a chance to see the northen lights. I know it is not easy). We will arrive to Tampere, and as we see in the forcast, around Oulu there will be some chance to see it on Monday. (We will rent a car to drive up there).

We would like to rent a nice log cabin somewhere not in the city. I usually book accomodation via booking.com and airbnb.com. But now I did not really find any dream cottages on these pages. Do you have any reccomenndation where I should look for a lovely, romantic cottage? I mean, that I amsure, that thee are website specifield in this kind of log cottages, but which one of them is trustable? Please help. Or do you have any specific cottages in your mind which would be gret for us?

Thanks a lot in advance.

4 replies to this topic
Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
1. Re: Looking for log cabin

You could try these:

www.visitoulu.fi/en/accommodation/cottages/

http://www.lomarengas.fi/en

Oulu is a nice town, I'm planning to visit there myself in couple of days, but it's not really a tourist "hub". There are good business hotels in town, but it might be difficult to find cabins there.

If you haven't booked anything yet, and you are free to move with a rental car, you might also consider Iso-Syöte and Vuokatti, which are somewhat in the same region.

syote.fi/en/…

vuokatti.fi/en/…Apartments-and-cottages

If everything fails, in Vuoketti there are at least a good spa and a ski tunnel!

Edited: 12 October 2016, 08:14
Oulu, Finland
Level Contributor
201 posts
15 reviews
13 helpful votes
2. Re: Looking for log cabin

The weather forecast for Oulu region / Northern Finland looks cloudy.

Hailuoto Island cottages near Oulu:

hailuoto.fi/en/…

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
28 posts
81 reviews
28 helpful votes
3. Re: Looking for log cabin

Hi there, thank you for your answers! I really appreciate it.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
4,631 posts
76 reviews
45 helpful votes
4. Re: Looking for log cabin

Nallikari Camping about 3 km walking/cycling distance from the centre has nice cottages and new villas almost by the sea: http://nallikari.fi/en/accommodation/ . These are the only sensible options closer to the centre of Oulu. Hailuoto is an island off the coast of Oulu. Travelling there from Oulu takes almost 2 hours by car out of which just under 30 min on a ferry (free of charge).

A bit north of Oulu in Virpiniemi there are also chalets and villas (20 min drive from Oulu): http://www.virpiniemi.fi/majoitus/ and some of the cottages in Virpiniemi can also be found on Lomarengas (link in Pasi's post above).

Edited: 13 October 2016, 04:00
Reply to: Looking for log cabin
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Oulu
More Oulu Topics