We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

skiing equipment

Italy
Level Contributor
702 posts
1 review
skiing equipment

Where in Oulu can we buy skis for cross country skiing and ski waxing equipment?

19 replies to this topic
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
30 reviews
11. Re: skiing equipment

I'm not going to wax skis for conditions I'm not familiar with - and I find your reply cheeky and unhelpful.

Thank you

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
6,566 posts
91 reviews
12. Re: skiing equipment

Waxing is dependent on the conditions you are about to ski. If the weather changes, your waxing may not be correct. I'm sure pretty much every sports store can do the waxing for you.

Another option is to buy modern no wax skis, like: https:/…motion-skintec-ab0565.html Every major manufacturer has similar innovations. May not be the absolute best, but always better than inappropriately waxed. In any case very simple for a non-professional skier.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
30 reviews
13. Re: skiing equipment

Thank you for your reply.

Can you suggest some shops in Oulu that wax skis, please?

I prefer a local shop (who is familiar with the local conditions) to do my first wax of the season. I have my own seasonal skis.

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
3,075 posts
14. Re: skiing equipment

Lajikumppanit: http://www.lajikumppanit.fi/

I'm not in any collaboration with them, but I know the owners. Long term entrepreneurs and winter sports enthusiasts, who used to own a store in Rovaniemi too before they were acquired by a bigger sports chain.

But any sports store that sells skis will do waxing too. For example Intersport Rintamäki is a safe choice.

Just that the first wax of the season is not that dependent on local or even current conditions. It is just a base wax to clean (or prepare if new skis) the base and open up the pores. On top of that you will apply the final waxing (which gets more scientific the more advanced skier you are) according to the weather and snow conditions.

But backcountry skis aren't that critical on glide waxing, as they reguire more grip than glide. But kick waxing is more trickier especially when temperatures get closer to +0C. Unless you want to have your skis waxed in a store every day, I would also recommend to learn the basics. You would need maybe 2-3 different type of kick waxes, a scraper and a cork.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
30 reviews
15. Re: skiing equipment

thank you very much for the recommendations.

yes, though a relative "novice" coming from the UK, I use glide wax on the backcountry skis and want extra sticky kick wax because I don't get that much practice.

And precisely right! I need the skis stripped down and base wax and I always ask for an "extra layer" before the final layer.

I was going to Utajarvi, but may stay around Oulu instead. If you have any recommendations for trails, please let me know.

Kittos

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
3,075 posts
16. Re: skiing equipment

Without googling I am not very familiar with trails around Oulu, sorry. There are, that I am sure of, as I have seen friend taking pictures there.

But if you are not sure, just let the pros do the waxing and don't make any specific requests... :) For example for the kick wax to be "sticky" it is not so much about the wax itself, but the stiffness of the ski and length of the so called wax pocket.

For backcountry skiing my choice would be, and I think someone else recommended them too, wax free skis. They go by different name by different manufacturers. Nanogrip, optigrip, optiwax etc. And there is also this new generation of skin skis, which are designed to give you the best no-wax grip - ideal for backcountry.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
30 reviews
17. Re: skiing equipment

Tak or kittos... :)

I already have skis. I have "no wax" skis which is a bit of a misnomer, as I always wax them and get on well that way - so long as I find the right person to do the"first wax" of the season, because I don't live there or have the time or equipment to invest in it myself.

Thanks again

Edited: 25 October 2017, 10:16
Oulu, Finland
Level Contributor
191 posts
15 reviews
18. Re: skiing equipment

I've also heard Lajikumppanit recommended by friends.

Skiing trails in Oulu: https://www.ouka.fi/oulu/english/jogging-tra…

I believe the the Auranmaja trail, the Köykkyri area trails in Kempele, and the Virpiniemi area trails in Haukipudas are quite popular. But Rokua in Utajärvi is also a good destination.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
30 reviews
19. Re: skiing equipment

Thank you!

Reply to: skiing equipment
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Oulu
More Oulu Topics