We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

will there be snow in rovaniemi dec 2011

Which Rovaniemi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Grays Thurrock...
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
will there be snow in rovaniemi dec 2011

We are visiting rovaniemi on Dec 11th for 3 nights and I'm getting really concerned about the lack of snow at the moment and I'm wondering if I should change our holiday to nearer Christmas or change the area that we are going to. Any advice would be appreciated I'm feeling rather stressed out about it. I have booked it as a surprise for my husband and children I'm not telling them till the week before. I can't see the point of going if there is now snow.

Arsy, France
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: will there be snow in rovaniemi dec 2011

it is looking like snow is not looking good so far but when it comes it will be great

however, give the time you are going and that you are going south, I would personally change your holiday if you possibly could as the whole holiday is based on snow - if it is at all possible for you to change without costing an arm and leg then I would and I would also go as far north as you can

who have you booked with and how much more is it going to cost you to change

Grays Thurrock...
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: will there be snow in rovaniemi dec 2011

Hi we are going with first choice and i think its about £130 to change but i will have to double check. im so disappointed really didnt want to change the holiday. I've read lots of reviews of people who were worried there was no snow but no one has said when they finally got there there was no snow.

Arsy, France
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: will there be snow in rovaniemi dec 2011

this year is different from others as there is usually some snow, at least up north and at present there is nothing

why dont you find out how late you can change your holiday with your operator and then just keep on checking the weather as if you have the option to change it last min then at least you can

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,739 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: will there be snow in rovaniemi dec 2011

The chances of snow in Lapland in the next four weeks are very good indeed if you look at historical records. I'd bet on it. No one can guarantee weather a month in advance, of course.

worthing
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: will there be snow in rovaniemi dec 2011

we went to rovaniemi 2 years ago and were experiencing exactly the same concerns, I too got really stressed about it. Once we were there, although it didn't snow, the resort had plenty of snow, They also had machines creating snow overnight as it was a ski centre. The Santa trip, Husky trip and snowmobile trip also had plenty of snow, and all of them were just stunning. it wasn't so thick that you walked up to your knees in it, but in hindsight that was a blessing as it was so so cold (-30 for our snowmobile trip!!) .

It was still beautiful and very very magical. We were told by the operators that they bring in snow to the trip areas if there is a lack of it, don't know if this is true or not. We also considered changing locations but we stuck with it in the end. We went on the 12th dec. There was a little bit of snow at the airport when we arrived and there was more the further north you went.

You will have an amazing time, its such a fantastic place, just remember lots and lots of thin layers, we were up to about 6 layers on the very cold mornings even with the snowsuits. The one thing I wish I had bought are decent gloves, they supply mittens but for the kids you could really do with a few of pairs of thinner tighter fitting gloves layered up maybe with a thicker thermal pair on top. We bought ski gloves, they were a disaster!!

I hope you come to a decision, and you have a fab time, i so want to go back!! x

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: will there be snow in rovaniemi dec 2011

Yes, it is true that they transport snow e.g. from the ski resorts to the excursion trails, but even for that the temperature must be below freezing point as otherwise the snow cannons cannot produce snow.

However, despite the warmest autumn in decades it will be very unlikely that there would not be any snow in Lapland in December - but nowadays miracles can happen - the climate is changing and becoming unpredictable (even more than it has been before - don't count too much on any forecast of over 10 days in length - they are almost as good as guessing).

Grays Thurrock...
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: will there be snow in rovaniemi dec 2011

Thank u so much you have put my mind at rest, I thought it snowed all year in Lapland...silly me. I have looked at changing to the 21st Dec but It's an extra £600 with admin fees etc. I can see that it is getting colder everyday so fingers crossed. Can u recommend any trips ? And how cash will I need? I was going 2 take £250 plus credit card. Where did u stay we are staying in winter wonderland. Thanks on tip about gloves I get such cold hands . Thanks Denise x

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,090 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: will there be snow in rovaniemi dec 2011

"And how cash will I need? I was going 2 take £250 plus credit card."

Sounds quite a lot to me. Visa/Master Cards are very widely accepted (and Diners and Amex pretty well in tourism releted business)

There are several ATMs in Rovaniemi for cash should you need it.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: will there be snow in rovaniemi dec 2011

No need to take loads of cash. You can pay practically everything with a credit card. The only exceptions might be some market stalls etc. and local single bus tickets (should you need those) but almost everything else can be paid with cards. The amount of cash in circulation in Finland is among the lowest in Europe because also the locals pay mainly with cards - even small purchases. So far Finnish retail businesses have not introduced card payment fees/commission like, say, in Denmark - even if they nowadays would be allowed to do so.

Moreover by paying with a credit card you can benefit of the more favourable exchange rate that the credit card companies and banks use as opposed to the cash exchange rates which are usually poorer than the account currency exchange rates. E.g. today the Finnish account currency exchange rates between Euro and Pound are for selling: 0.846410 and buying: 0.866410. Cash exchange rates are: selling: 0.836410 and buying: 0.876410. The selling rate shows the amount of £ you'll get with one € and the rate for buying shows how many £s you'll have to give in order to get one €. For Birtish rates you should "reverse" the order, i.e. the bank will sell you or buy from you Euros.

worthing
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: will there be snow in rovaniemi dec 2011

Hi Denise,

We stayed at the sky hotel which was a little way out from the centre ( a taxi ride away) I was given a some tips before I went, the food and drink in the hotel was very very expensive, we took lots of sachets of hot chocolate and cappuccino etc and lots of little snacks. It worked for us and saved a lot of money that I would rather spend on trips!!! The additional trips to visiting Santa that we booked were the husky ride and the snowmobile ride. The santa day we had was at joulokka, there were several activities included here including husky ride around a huge frozen lake, reindeer ride and snowmobile ride. I wish we had done an extra reindeer ride as the one we went on was fairly short.

Have you had a look at the webcams for rovaniemi? We were getting so obsessed with the snow that we were looking a them about 8 times a day!!!I have had a look at them today and it looks about the same as before we went so fingers crossed the snow will come in for you, I really do feel what you are going through it brings it all back!!!

It's hard to say how much money to take, it depends if you have to book additional trips whilst you are there, just make sure you won't regret not doing them whilst you have the opportunity, the whole cost seems so scary though for a holiday like this!

The only other tip is really just the layers of clothes, to give you an idea on the coldest day my daughter (7) had on a thermal underlayer) tops and bottoms,) 2 pairs of normal socks 1 pair of thermal socks, tights, leggings and trousers, 1 short sleeved top, one long sleeved top, a sweatshirt, fleece and her snow suit, a really good thermal hat, and was still a bit cold!! sounds extreme but you just can't imagine how the cold gets to you, and at least you can take layers off. The other thing I bought and forgot to take was the little hand warmers you can buy from mountain shops, they would have been great.

I could go on for hours as we had such a magical time, I want to book again now!!

If I can help with anything else just ask.

I really do hope you have a wonderful time

Tracie x