We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for young family in central Gothenburg

NC
Level Contributor
123 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for young family in central Gothenburg

We will be traveling to Gothenburg in a few weeks for a five-day stay with our two-year-old son. We'll be staying at the Radisson, and one of our days will be spent picking up our Volvo. After reading all the great TripAdvisor info and previous forum entries, I have a couple of remaining questions:

Can anyone recommend a grocery store/supermarket where we could pick up some milk and snacks, especially for our son? I would prefer a very short walk from the hotel as we will need to get supplies on our first day.

Can anyone recommend some moderately-priced, kid-friendly restaurants in the area? We like just about everything, but we are particularly interested in sampling local fare and sushi!

Finally, can anyone point out the best bets for young children? I especially want to identify a few indoor activities for rainy afternoons.

Thanks in advance!

Gothenburg, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Gothenburg
Level Contributor
627 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for young family in central Gothenburg

The closest grocery store is Hemköp in Nordstan. It's a short walk from Radisson.

Good restaurants in the area are plenty. Saluhallen, the indoor food market is always a good bet. There is a greek place not far away either- You walk towards Kungsportsplatsen and take a left after the café "Fröken Olsson"

If you have time there is a playground close to Radisson on Trädgårdsföreningen. The café is also nice.

There are several sushi places in the area around Nordstan.. I like Slimfood in Nordstan best. It's a foodcourt in the middle of Nordstan, sushi on one side and salad on the other.

Göteborg
Level Contributor
473 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for young family in central Gothenburg

Some tips about indoors activities:

Universeum - science museum, indoor rainforest, sharks, fish etc, Places to play for your son and interesting things to see/do for you. (Best thing is you dare to try all the fun childish things with the kid in company! *s*) Great gift shop!

http://www.universeum.se/index.php?lang=en

Världskulturmuseet, next to Universeum, focuses on world cultures. Don´t know if any of the present exhibitions interest you. Free admission, so you can just go in for a short visit if it rains!

varldskulturmuseet.se/smvk/jsp/polopoly.jsp…

"Lek och buslandet" at Backaplan (tramstop "Hjalmar Brantingsplatsen") on Hisingen (on your way to Volvo) is an indoor playground. A bit large and noisy, though... They have special areas for kids under three. Snacks, internet etc

http://www.lekobus.se/babyhornan.asp

A lot of the other museums have "kids corners", so just do whatever you are interested in!

Gothenburg, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Gothenburg
Level Contributor
771 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for young family in central Gothenburg

As a father of a four year old I can give you some information, I would recommend central located Chinese restaurants, and the other patrons usually don't mind children, but a take look inside the restaurants before you take a seat since some Chinese restaurants attracts a certain patrons with very low beer prices. A good choice would be Restaurant Ming, located next to Avenyn.

During afternoons and early evening almost all restaurants are child friendly.

As mention there are some food outlets in Nordstan, also a few greasy-spoon buffets during lunchtime. Then of course you will have your usual selection of McDonalds and Burger King. Also you can try to buy some traditional Swedish fast food, sausage (hot-dog style) and mash potatoes plus fixings such as shredded pickles with mayo ("gurkmajonäs"), mayo-seafood salad ("västkust/räk sallad") mustard and/or ketchup, you can buy them in little huts, that also sells hamburgers.

"Lek och buslandet" at Backaplan really sucks in my opinion, to loud and to many out of control children that starts fights and terrorise the younger kids Since you pick up your car at the Torslanda plant, I would suggest you visit "Bushuset 2" in Torslanda, a smaller an much more calmer version of "Lek och buslandet".

Lek = play, bus = mischief (but don't be too alarmed, the expression is not that harsh in Swedish).

EK

Gothenburg, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Gothenburg
Level Contributor
627 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for young family in central Gothenburg

Chiming in with Erikderek I urge you to stay away from Lek och buslandet" at Backaplan. Bushuset 2" in Torslanda is smaller and better suited for a 2 yearold.

Several museums have good playrooms. The city museum close to Brunnsparken has a playarea that's suitable for smaller children as well,

NC
Level Contributor
123 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for young family in central Gothenburg

This is all wonderful information, thank you all very much. We are looking forward to our stay in Gothenburg!

6. Re: Recommendations for young family in central Gothenburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2011, 17:21
Get answers to your questions about Gothenburg