We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long do I need in Gothenburg. . .

London, England
Level Contributor
273 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How long do I need in Gothenburg. . .

Hi

I'm travelling to Gothenburg in either late September or early October for a city break and am unsure whether I need 2 or 3 days to 'see' everything. I am tying this trip in with a couple of nights in Boras so really want to know whether 5ish nights is enough for seeing everything and allowing time to travel around?

Does anyone also have any thoughts on whether I should start in Boras then go back to Gothenburg or vice versa? Does it make any difference in getting to and from airports etc?

Also is there much difference in weather between late Sep to Oct?

Many thanks

Gothenburg, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Gothenburg
Level Contributor
710 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long do I need in Gothenburg. . .

Depending on what you plan to do in Gothhenburg, if you are going to explore the city two days is enough, it's a small city, pretty easy to get around. Tete are airport busses to both Gothenburg an Borås from Landvetter airport (GOT), if you arrive at Säve airport (GSE) there are busses that will take to Centralstationen, central Gothenburg. Trains and busses fto Borås departs from there, so it's really up to you where to start.

Weather, October equals rain, late September can be better, but most likely no this year. We have had awfully bad late summer weather this year.

EK

Edited: 22 August 2010, 17:36
London, England
Level Contributor
273 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long do I need in Gothenburg. . .

Thanks for the reply! We want to visit the musems etc, go on the 360 view, shopping . . . and get a fell for the city so hopefully 2 days will be enough. Any other thoughts would be gratefully received!!

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
226 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long do I need in Gothenburg. . .

I agree that 2 days should make it, but why be in such a rush?

If you want to go to museums (Universeum?), hours easily flies away. For shopping an half day should make it, but when in Gothenburg you need to take COFFEE BREAKS or FIKA as we say in Sweden - once a day. There are SO many cozy cafes for you to visit! I think you should go for 3 days - one day just to soak up the atmosphere!

Remember don't just walk around in the area ariund AVENYN and KUNGSPORTSPLATSEN. Take a walk to LINNÈSTADEN through HAGA and try the small streets off and on Linnégatan. This is were the nice restaurants and cafes are!!

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
226 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long do I need in Gothenburg. . .

PS There are buses to Landvetter airport every 20 minutes from Gothenburg but much more seldom from Borås. There are buses between the two cities every hour (more often in mornings and late afternoons). Buy tickets in machines BEFORE entering the bus - cheaper. plus they only accept VISA and MasterCard (no cash) on buses! (this is also the case on airporttransportations)

Edited: 23 August 2010, 02:26
London, England
Level Contributor
273 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long do I need in Gothenburg. . .

Thanks nisse2ears for the reply!

What are the actual buses you are referring to? We've seen the flybussarna schedules (which are few and far between to boras) but have also seen there are other bus companies to travel with but are not sure what they are called? We want to make travelling as easy and cheap as possible from airport to boras-gothenburg etc and assumed the train may be a good idea but it sounds as if it can all be done on buses. Is this correct and which ones??

Many thanks

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
226 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long do I need in Gothenburg. . .

Bus no 100 goes from Nils Ericson Terminal/Railwaystation (gate 39 or so) between Borås and GBG see schedule:

http://www.vasttrafik.se/en/

Abt 74 SEK one way.

Also Swebus and Bus4You have buses.

Swebus maybe every 2 hr costs abt 65 SEK one way swebus.se/SwebusExpress_com/…

Swebus can take you to the airport from both Borås and GBG, cheaper but not as often. (use the link to search for all destinations)

Bus4You 2-3 times a day 72 SEK tickets online +12 % if you at the bus info (Nils E terminal)

http://www.bus4you.se/

There are also trains - both Västtrafik (see link) and SJ.

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
226 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long do I need in Gothenburg. . .

In the mornings (07.00 - 09-30) these buses are over-crowded and also in afternoons (15.00 - 17.00).

But then again there are more than one bus leaving at every departure.

Gothenburg, Sweden
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: How long do I need in Gothenburg. . .

Västtrafik [pron: Vest trafiiik] is the company that gets you where you need in gothenburg by bus, tram or boat. The other companies are mainly for longer trips outside gothenburg.

If you want to see different parts of the city, take the tram between the sites.

www.vasttrafik.se/ResizeImageHandler.aspx…

First when you come to Gothenburg, stop at Nils Ericson Terminalen (the main bus hub) and buy yourself a 1- or 3-day travel card. 65SEK / 130SEK.

This is the cheapest way to travel around the city, and you do not have to learn the new idiotic, impossible rules for one trip tickets etc.

To get to/from GOT, Landvetter airport, take Flygbussarna from/to Nils Ericson terminal. (80SEK. Not included in the Västtrafik ticket)

You need one whole day here. But check the opening hours first:

liseberg.com/en/…

Finish the day up in the reataurant/bar Heaven23 in the Gothia Towers, next to Liseberg and order the famous but expensive shrimp sandwich.

Museums... I guess you can find those on the normal travel/tourist web sites.

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
226 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How long do I need in Gothenburg. . .

Of course, the buses I mentioned are between GBG and Borås. I was quite clear on that.

10. Re: How long do I need in Gothenburg. . .

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2011, 18:16
Get answers to your questions about Gothenburg