We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy prepaid mobile phone for about 350 kr?

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,552 posts
206 reviews
Save Topic
Where to buy prepaid mobile phone for about 350 kr?

I'll be looking to buy a cheap prepaid mobile once we arrive in Gothenburg and have been trying to price them online. The Phone Store seems to have one for 699 kr, but that is a bit pricey for me. Does anyone know somewhere in the center of town where I can buy one for about 350 kr? Thank you.

Uppsala, Sweden
Level Contributor
82 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy prepaid mobile phone for about 350 kr?

Chains like Siba and Onoff have simple mobile phones around 350 SEK. Check siba.se and onoff.se for details and locations. Both have shops in the main shopping centre Nordstan in central Gothenburg.

If you bring a not too old mobile phone from US it should be usable in Sweden with a prepaid top-up card, available in most convenience stores.

The Woods
Level Contributor
51 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy prepaid mobile phone for about 350 kr?

Clas Ohlson usually have a couple of very cheep cell phones. They have a store in Nordstan.

www.clasohlson.se

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,552 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy prepaid mobile phone for about 350 kr?

Thanks for all the advice, I ended up buying one at Siba across from the library at a good price!

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,552 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy prepaid mobile phone for about 350 kr?

I have a follow-up question: I bought a cheap Nokia in Siba this summer with an Amigos plan. The instructions that came with the Amigos card are in Swedish and I can't read them. Is there anyone familiar with this plan who can tell me if there is an expiration on the phone number I was assigned and on the number of minutes I bought (I have some leftover time)? Also, I may be in Amsterdam next summer and was wondering if the card will work there so I can use up the minutes before I buy a new SIM card there. Thank you for any help.

The Woods
Level Contributor
51 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to buy prepaid mobile phone for about 350 kr?

You need to top-up your pre-paid card with at least SEK 100 every 30 days to continue calling on the Amigos price plan. After 30 days, you will be transferred to the Bas (basic) price plan, which I guess is much more expensive.

You will be able to make calls up to 12 months from the last top-up, and receive calls up to 13 months from your last top-up. If you do not top-up your card within 13 months, the card (and your number) will be revoked.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,552 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to buy prepaid mobile phone for about 350 kr?

Thank you, that is just what I needed to know.

7. Re: Where to buy prepaid mobile phone for about 350 kr?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2011, 15:16
Get answers to your questions about Gothenburg