We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting the Islands near Gothenburg

England
Level Contributor
189 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting the Islands near Gothenburg

I am visiting Halmstad in April and am interested in visiting one or two of the islands near Gothenburg. On a previous trip to Halmstad, it became clear that this time of year was before the season and a lot of places were closed. Do tourists travel out to the islands at this time of year? Will there be sufficient ferries and will places be open?

I also need to decide whether to drive up from Halmstad for the day or stay near the ferry terminal. If I do the latter it would be my preference to be out of the centre of Gothenburg in a hotel that provides dining so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My main focus will be to see attractive coastal scenery and interesting small towns/villages.

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Halmstad
Halmstad
Halland County, Sweden
Gothenburg
Gothenburg
Vastra Gotaland County, Sweden
3 replies to this topic
Uppsala, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting the Islands near Gothenburg

There is at least a café on Styrsö that is open daily in April. And there will be enough ferries.

But, the scenery and the small towns/villages never close.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
6,942 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting the Islands near Gothenburg

Marstrand could be good bet and has a fairly large town, but it's further away of course.

Edited: 24 February 2018, 23:05
Mentioned in this post
Marstrand
Marstrand
162 Reviews
Marstrand, Sweden
Gothenburg, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Gothenburg
Level Contributor
861 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting the Islands near Gothenburg

I’ll put in a word for the Northerns archipelago, a lot of local seems to forget that part of the archipelago and solely concentrate on the Southern, I quite never figured out why.

EK

Reply to: Visiting the Islands near Gothenburg
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted