We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Midsummer 2018 suggestions (where to stay, etc.)

california
8 posts
Save Topic
Midsummer 2018 suggestions (where to stay, etc.)

Hello all! Thank you in advance for your suggestions...

I'll be traveling with my family of 4 (2 adults, 2 children ages 6 and 9) to Gothenburg on the Thursday before Midsummer. I'd like to stay somewhere near where there are festivities (ideally so that we may participate in the celebration). I'm aware that Gothenburg becomes a bit like a ghost city and this is a concern...we are currently staying at the Clarion Post hotel for three nights but I'd like to stay Friday/Saturday nights in an area that is more typical for public celebrations. Do you have any recommendations? I'm also open to air bnb's so even if you know of a nearby area that is prone to many festivities, I'd appreciate your help! Thank you so very much :)

Mentioned in this post
Gothenburg
Gothenburg
Vastra Gotaland County, Sweden
Hotel Pigalle
Hotel Pigalle
#2 of 65 hotels in Gothenburg
Hotel Royal Gothenburg
Hotel Royal Gothenburg
#3 of 65 hotels in Gothenburg
Avalon Hotel
Avalon Hotel
#4 of 65 hotels in Gothenburg
4 replies to this topic
Gothenburg, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Gothenburg
Level Contributor
861 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Midsummer 2018 suggestions (where to stay, etc.)

It’s a tricky question, a lot of the local festiveties includes a lot of drinking so the “go to spots” a long the coast would be crowded with partying young adults. Think like a one day spring break...

The “real” celebration is in Dalarna is about 7-8 hours drive north bound.

There a quite a bit of family friendly celebration in and around Gothenburg where local comunity sets up traditional celebration With live band and dance, usually free of charge and they sell light food and pastries. Usually they sell home made local sweets and bread etc. as well.

EK

Edited: 24 February 2018, 23:09
Mentioned in this post
Gothenburg
Gothenburg
california
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Midsummer 2018 suggestions (where to stay, etc.)

Thank you EK! Would you recommend then that we simply stay put at the Clarion? I appreciate the time you took to give me your thoughtful answer :)

Göteborg
Level Contributor
548 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Midsummer 2018 suggestions (where to stay, etc.)

There are usually celebrations at Tjolöholm and Gunnebo Castles, Trädgårdsföreningen and Liseberg. (and many more places) There will be more information in media in May/June. Midsummer day is very quiet, and many places are closed, so plan carefully what you are going to do that day.

Gothenburg, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Gothenburg
Level Contributor
861 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Midsummer 2018 suggestions (where to stay, etc.)

Yes, staying at Clarion and visit one of the celebrations in the vicinity of Gothenburg. It's a possible that the hotel will server a traditional midsummer Smorgasbord on Midsummer Eve, check with the hotel.

We usually celebrate by visiting the local history society in the suburb where we live, they have traditional celebration, dressed up in traditional cloth, live music and dance for every one to join. It's family oriented event and is usually starting around noon. In the late afternoon/ early evening we usually host a dinner for our friends (if weather allows served at our wood deck in our backyard). My 7 year old usually joins the dancing but my 12 year don't...

EK

Mentioned in this post
Gothenburg
Gothenburg
Reply to: Midsummer 2018 suggestions (where to stay, etc.)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted