We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tallinn - Stockholm Ferry

Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tallinn - Stockholm Ferry

I have just booked a Tallink ferry from Tallinn to Stockholm and after printing out the ticket realised its a return ticket. Will this be a problem if I don't use it a return ticket as I am flying out of Stockholm. I noticed after that the one way ticket is more expensive than a return ticket which I don't understand at all.

6 replies to this topic
Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tallinn - Stockholm Ferry

Return tickets, or mini-cruises, are cheaper because they are sold to people who use the ferry to have a good time and do some duty-free shopping - so the ferry company gets money from their shops, restaurants and bars.

One-ways are bought by people needing to go from A-B and aren't usually that into spending lots in the bars, restaurants and shops - so the ferry company charges them more.

Unless you are travelling with a car there is no way the ferry company can stop you.

Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tallinn - Stockholm Ferry

Many thanks.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
330 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tallinn - Stockholm Ferry

Sorry to jump in...but i too hv similar doubt....if we book return cruise and and then checkout after the one way journey without using the return part of the ticket..it that ok with the ferry company then?

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tallinn - Stockholm Ferry

You do not check out, you just walk off the ferry with the other passengers.

The ferry company may not like it since they want you to spend more money on the return journey, but there is very little they can do about it (unless you start doing it very frequently).

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
330 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tallinn - Stockholm Ferry

Ok..thanks for clarifying.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
9,170 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tallinn - Stockholm Ferry

The ferry companies are aware of this, it's a widespread practice. I do it often and have never had a problem.

Reply to: Tallinn - Stockholm Ferry
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted