We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from CPH > Stockholm and 4 nights stay - Report

Canada
Level Contributor
994 posts
60 reviews
Drive from CPH > Stockholm and 4 nights stay - Report

Hello,

We finally made it safe. First thank you to all of you who answered my questions and gave recommendations. We landed in Copenhagen at 12:10 PM from Montreal and drove the rental car straight to Stockholm.

Accommodation: Airbnb in Saltsjöbaden - 4 nights for 2025 SEK

Transportation: 72 hours tourist pass + rental car (5 km each way between Airbnb and train station) + driving multiple times into Stockholm and around

Food: Self preparation, Supermarkets, and seafood fast food restaurants

We first drove over the bridge to Malmo. The crossing is pretty but not as you hear people talking about it. It is nice but not special and very costy.350 SEK. They did passport check before driving in Sweden which was due to the mass immigration. The immigration officer was only looking for Schengen stamp. It was so windy on the bridge which she couldn’t easily check the papers of the passport but this also was 2 – 3 minutes and we were in Sweden. First stop was Malmo. We first drove around HSB Turning Torso. It looks a massive building in town. It is the tallest building in Scandinavia and it looks unique to look at for couple seconds but if you live in any big city with lots of high rise building, you won’t find this appealing. Next stop was the Little Square in Malmo. There were lots of parking spots. The square looks nice. We walked around and took photos for 20 minutes. I also planned to go visit Malmohus but considering it was already 4 PM and we were all too tired and the castle will close in 1 hour, the idea is vanished. Instead, we just drove around Malmo, stopped by a playground an as soon as the kids started to play, the sky started to rain and then pouring rain. We took photos and back to the car. It was time for our 7 hours drive to Stockholm.

The highway was straightforward and easy but I kept feeling I will fall asleep.

Next couple days are going to be busy days. Lots to see and explore in Stockholm. Gladly, I already asked our host to buy us 72 hours transportation pass so we start our exploring without wasting time on trying to find an office to buy the pass from. She had the passed ready along other information on the table upon our arrival. We had to drive 5 KM to get to the train station. There was free parking so we left the car by the train station the whole day. We took two trains and then transferred to a bus. The whole journey took about 1 hour and we were in the old town (Stortorget). We started walking around, admiring the building and the architecture, the streets and the stores. Took pictures in front of the Noble Museum (Nobelmuseet) and Storkyrkan (Stockholm Cathedral). We didn’t go inside Nobel Museum (120 SEK) nor the Cathedral (60 SEK). We then walked to the Royal Palace and visited the Royal Apartments, Royal Treasury (Skattkammaren), Tre Kronor Museum, Gustav III's Museum of Antique, and The Royal Armoury (Livrustkammaren). The visit took about 3 hours. The palace is nice and we enjoyed seeing different sections of it all packed in the same spot. The cost was 160 SEK Per adult and FREE for children. I should point out that 99% of the places are free for children coming with an adult.

Just as a note, The Royal Armoury is Free of charge to enter even without the palace ticket.

We then walked across the bridge and down to the waterfront. Had lunch by the water and took some more photos of Stockholm with the water view. Museum of Medieval Stockholm (Medeltidsmuseet) is here too but it was already 5 PM and they were closed.

We kept strolling around the city before taking the bus and trains to return home. We arrived home around 7 PM. Tired and excited for the following day. Kids off to bed.

Second morning we woke up, had breakfast and headed out the same way. We walked in the city center park which is really a nice park toward Hallwyl Museum. It is a Free museum with lots of antique and history. We spent about 2 hours there. It was 12:15 PM and we managed to be by the palace. It was packed with people and we had to squeeze it to see the change or guards. It was a nice experience but not very comfortable due to the crowd and limited time. People were also kept trying geting in and out which made it even less enjoyable as we had to pay attention to the traffic rather than watching the guards. We stayed for 10 minutes and then left to go to the Army Museum (Armémuseum). We got there but it was closed. Then we realized that it was a public holiday in Sweden so we skipped the Army museum and went to the Historiska museet which is The Swedish History Museum. Another great free museum to learn more about Sweden and its history. It was interesting to learn Sweden was a great power which united allies of Russia, Denmark, and Norway couldn’t defeat it. We also had planned to visit Nordik Museum (Nordiska Museet) but felt it would be too much of museums hence took the public transportation back to our Airbnb. By the last train station, there is a small restaurant which had Fish and Chips. We took some home. When we got home, we ate food, took some rest, and then decided to drive to Stockholm by car to drive around freely and enjoy as much as possible. We went to the area which hosts Vasa museum, took some photos. There are very interesting colorful sculptures in the area. Make sure to stop by if you have kids (or even if don’t) and take some admire its work. This is not a simple work. We went to the water front from this side of Stockholm. Admired the views and of course took more photos before it gets too dark. We then drove more until it got dark, admired Stockholm at night and headed home around 10:30 PM.

Regarding Nordiska Museet (Nordik Museum), the visit is FREE on Tuesday between 1:00 and 5:00 PM. The regular admission fee is 120 SEK per adult. It also has a Children's playhouse for 20 SEK per child.

On our last day, we again left by public transportation in the morning but this time we took a ferry to take us to Vasa museum. It was an enjoyable and fast ride. I thought I will be disappointed at Vasa museum as it is only a simple ship but I was totally wrong. This was a 4 floors museum with interactive activities and displays among explanations and different views of the ship in each floor. No wonder why it is the highlight of every visitor to Stockholm. The entrance is 130 SEK per adult with guided English tours at 11:30 AM, 1:30 PM, and 3:30 PM. We didn’t take the tour as we can’t really enjoy or stick to any tour when walking with the kids. We need our own pace. We spent around 3 hours in the museum. We bought some sweets and had lunch there. By now, we didn’t really have any plan or anywhere to go. We decided to go home, get some rest and again drive back around until darkness. Another great drive around Stockholm. Honestly, Stockholm has a very easy and smooth driving experience. It has the best public transportation I have seen, efficient, cheap, clean, and fast.

On our departure day, we had breakfast, cleaned our Airbnb location, and left around 10 AM to Drottningholm Palace. The palace was another amazing place and a memorable conclusion to our trip. It is 130 SEK and we spent around 2 hours including the garden in the back. Make sure you walk in the garden and take photos.

I also asked what ferry route would be the best and covered with the 72 hours transit pass. The recommendation was to take boat 80 from Nyboplan (by the Dramaten Theatre) to Frihamnen or Lidingِ It is enjoyable as you will see the south Djurgهrden, north Sِdermalm and Nacka. In addition, Line 89 can be combined with Drottningholm castle. We didn’t take any of these ferries.

We then went to a mall with a food court and had lunch there before heading out west to Oslo. We left Stockholm around 2 PM and drove non-stop to Oslo. This was another smooth ride. There is no traffic, construction, or checks along the way. You keep driving until you get to a point asking you to go right if you have anything to declare coming from EU or keep driving if you don’t have anything to declare. We didn’t have anything to declare so we kept driving. There was no custom or immigration checks as we were still within Schengen border and I assume there is no influx of immigration into Norway from Sweden so they didn’t see the need to do passport checks. We arrived in our Airbnb at 11:00 AM. This was in a town called Drammen which is 40 KM off Oslo.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards

6 replies to this topic
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
330 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Drive from CPH > Stockholm and 4 nights stay - Report

Hi....nice report.

please let me know ... did ur host in stockholm buy the 72 hours ticket with the Sl access card..paying 21 sek extra or was it just a paper ticket..?

Edited: 15 May 2018, 19:57
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
330 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Drive from CPH > Stockholm and 4 nights stay - Report

Also..which ferry u took to visit dottingham palace?

Canada
Level Contributor
994 posts
60 reviews
3. Re: Drive from CPH > Stockholm and 4 nights stay - Report

It was an access card but there was no extra. Just the price listed on the official web site. 250 SEK if I recall correctly (Too lazy to Google it now).

We drove to the palace but there is a ferry line 89 and you can use Google map or sl.se for the best route depending on your departure.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
330 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Drive from CPH > Stockholm and 4 nights stay - Report

ok

MI
Level Contributor
466 posts
71 reviews
5. Re: Drive from CPH > Stockholm and 4 nights stay - Report

We went to Vasa today. Really cool!! We also did the ABBA museum, which I love and thought I was really going to enjoy, but I actually liked Vasa better. LOVED old town. Great day!! Thanks for the report.

Canada
Level Contributor
994 posts
60 reviews
6. Re: Drive from CPH > Stockholm and 4 nights stay - Report

Glad you enjoyed day. From the 3 countries we visited (Sweden, Norway, and Denmark) we liked Sweden the most. Great city and very friendly people.

Reply to: Drive from CPH > Stockholm and 4 nights stay - Report
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted