We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the most scenic ferry trip in stockholm city

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
330 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
the most scenic ferry trip in stockholm city

hello

we have been spending 3.5 days in stockholm before taking an evening ferry to helsinki and then spend another 4 days there.

so i guess that would cover the scenic archipelago part enroute and we wont be interested in taking any other archipelago tour while in stockholm city.

my question is..if we have to choose one...out of ferry ride to Dottingham palace and royal canal tour ..which would be the best in term of views .. or both are a must do??are they worth spending money as we wont be having stockholm pass which covers the cost of the these 2...therefore it would be costing extra to us....we are not interested in visiting inside of Dottingham,,but have heard that ferry ride is quite scenic in itself...

we would anyway be taking a ferry ride from Djurgarden to old town one day..

your suggestions please?

4 replies to this topic
Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
467 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: the most scenic ferry trip in stockholm city

I would say that the ferry to Helsinki itself is the most scenic voyage around Stockholm. Especially when you left the inner archipelago and reach the outer skerries.

The Royal Canal Tour can be done on foot or by bike, if your feet are not too tired. The ferry between the Old Town to Djurgården is short and crowded, and more of a public transport trip.

Mentioned in this post
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
330 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: the most scenic ferry trip in stockholm city

Thanks...any suggestion..which one to choose out of royal canal tour or ferry ride to n fro Dottingham..in case we decide to have city views from the water?

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: the most scenic ferry trip in stockholm city

If you want to see Stockholm from the water, I would take neither the "Royal Canal Tour" or the Drottningholm ferry.

The Royal Canal Tour takes you around Djurgården which is a large park and whilst being pretty in it is own right it will not offer you a lot of inner city views.

Likewise, the Drottningholm cruise will take you out of the inner city fairly quickly and is thus not ideal if you want to experience central Stockholm from the waterways. It is however a great means of transportation if you are planning to visit the Drottningholm Palace anyhow and will offer some scenic views of Lake Mälaren.

In my opinion the best boat tour for experiencing downtown Stockholm from the waterways is Strömmas "Under the Bridges of Stockholm" tour.

More information on that one can be found here: https:/…

If the weather is good (no rain and not cold) I would try to show up to the docking/departure location at least 30-40 min before departure in order to join the queue so that you can get good seats on the boat. (The back rows are outdoor seats which offer a nicer experience on a hot summer day.)

Mentioned in this post
Stockholm
Stockholm
Stockholm County, Sweden
Drottningholm Palace
Drottningholm Palace
2,720 Reviews
Stockholm, Sweden
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
330 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: the most scenic ferry trip in stockholm city

Thank u so much...thats exactly what i needed to know:)

Reply to: the most scenic ferry trip in stockholm city
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted