We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Active Stockholm vacation

R Y
Calgary
Level Contributor
117 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Active Stockholm vacation

I will be Stockholm for 4 days prior to a work trip and would like to be active during my few days off. I am considering doing active day trips from Stockholm a kayak trip in the archipelago, day hike in Sormlandsleden and maybe mountain bike. OR... would it make more sense to stay out of Stockholm for a few days and try and put together some hike/kayak options elsewhere? I had hoped to do some mountain hiking but as I research, I understand that the nearest mountain hiking area is 5 hours + away. Any suggestions for some different activities for an active vacation would be appreciated... hiking, kayaking and biking seem to be the activities I can find so far. Thanks!

11 replies to this topic
Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
526 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Active Stockholm vacation

Would you be using a rental car or public transport? You could get kayaking, mountain biking and hiking in one trip to Sälen which is about a 5 hour drive.

R Y
Calgary
Level Contributor
117 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Active Stockholm vacation

We were hoping not to drive that far. Are there any options closer?

Lund, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Norrkoping
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Active Stockholm vacation

Kayaking in the Archipelago sounds like an awesome thing to me. This page lists some rental companies: https:/… Maybe kayak for a day, stay at a hostel / in a tent at a small island and kayak another way back?

Hiking the first sections of Sörmlandsleden is quite nice too. The first section starts at the metro station in Björkhagen, from where you go in and out of the suburbs and "wilderness" between. If not going too far, you can both get there and back with public transportation without having to backtrack.

Have no idea about mountain biking.

You can check on the Utsidan forum: https://www.utsidan.se/forum/ – it's an outdoor forum and if politely asking in English, you'll probably get some good answers there.

Lund, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Norrkoping
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Active Stockholm vacation

If you haven't found it already, there's a web site for Sörmlandsleden with sections: sormlandsleden.se/eng/…

R Y
Calgary
Level Contributor
117 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Active Stockholm vacation

Thank you... I have been trying figure out through the website what day hikes would be best! Any suggestions would be great for a full day (5-8hr) option.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
526 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Active Stockholm vacation

I can’t remember exactly how far we walked but I remember doing a day hike that meant that we could choose whether to end at different points. We took the train from Stockholm Central to Nynäshamn (takes 64 minutes and leaves every 30 minutes). We started with the section 5:1. Kvarnängens IP Nynäshamn - Vansta, Ösmo, 9,5 km and then I think that we did some or all of 5:2. Vansta, Ösmo - Hemfosa, 14,5 km. Because this roughly follows the train line back to Stockholm it should be possible to find a way back to various stations along the route. The walk was a mix of forest and lakes and whilst not difficult there was one section that was slow going due to the number of small rocks. I think we stopped at a supermarket in Ösmo for lunch.

Edited: 12 May 2018, 16:24
Uppsala, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Active Stockholm vacation

Upplandsleden might also be a good idea, the Bålsta-Skokloster part maybe? upplandsstiftelsen.se/eng/hike-the-uppland-t…

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
756 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Active Stockholm vacation

Or Bålsta - Barkarby, both endpoints are commuter train stations. Some of the sections of Sörmlandsleden end and start in metro or commuter train stations.

There is also Roslagsleden, which also have some sections in areas immediately surrounding Stockholm, to the northeast. Most trailheads reachable by public transport.

There's a lot to choose from. Do what you can find info about.

You can get maps from Kartbutiken, on Mäster Samuelsgatan 54, or www.kartbutiken.se

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
411 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Active Stockholm vacation

Tyresta Nationalpark is in my opinion your best option for a day hike close to Stockholm:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

You can get there by public transportation but it is a bit of a hassle so renting a car would be best.

Here is a map covering the park: tyresta.se/tyresta-karta/tyresta_karta_20111…

I would park the car at "Åva Gård" rather than at the main park entrance/parking as this area is less crowded and offers somewhat better hiking. I edited the above map for you with a suggestion of a good day hike, around 15 km long:

https://i.imgur.com/4r14WVB.jpg

The main hiking trail systems in the vicinity of Stockholm are, as others have already suggested, Sörmlandsleden, Upplandsleden and Roslagsleden. In my opinion Sörmlandsleden offers the best hiking out of these three.

Check out this general map of Sörmlandsleden if you haven't already seen it: sormlandsleden.se/media/1911/18-0557-sormlan…

Out of the legs that I have hiked myself leg 15:1 to 12:1 was the nicest one. The problem with this leg, and most other legs for that matter though, is that the starting and stopping points are not the same. Also, 15:1 to 12:1 is between 40-50 km long and is thus not suitable for a day hike.

There are some parts of Sörmlandsleden that are suitable for day hikes though. You could for example leave your car in "Ekeberga" 1 hours’ drive from Stockholm and hike parts of leg 15 and 15:2 returning to your car at the end of the hike. Using public transportation, you cold hike leg 11 to 12:1, taking the commuter train to Järna and then the train from Mölnbo back to Stockholm (or Järna if you left your car there). Another option would be leg 5:2, taking the commuter train to Hemfosa and then the same train back from Ösmo.

Becoming a member in the Sömlandsleden association for 200 kr will give you access to leg maps whilst also making a contribution towards the upkeep of the trails. Alternatively, you can make/print your own maps using this webservice: https://kartutskrift.lantmateriet.se/ (The interface is in Swedish though.)

That being said I would consider Tyresta Nationalpark first-hand and after that a leg of Sörmlandsleden if you want to do a second day of hiking.

R Y
Calgary
Level Contributor
117 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Active Stockholm vacation

Thank you everyone for the great details. I really appreciate it and will certainly try a few of these hiking suggestions. Once we leave the public transportation station, is it relatively easy to find the trail head to start the walk?

Reply to: Active Stockholm vacation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted