We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Lapland???

Wickford, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Lapland???

Hi,

I'm planning to visit Lapland for a few days with my boyfriend in January, hoping to see deer, go on Huskey rides and hopefully see the Northern Lights! Would anyone be able to advise a good base to do all these from? There is alot of choice!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mjolby, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Lapland???

Hi!

not sure if you are looking for something "posh" with all facilities nearby.

But if you want to experience the real Lapland I can recommend Porjus.

We stayed in Porjus in March this year mainly for the Northern Lights and it turned out to be a very good base for our Lapland adventure.

Porjus is a bit of the beaten path and would require a car, on the other hand most places in Lapland do if you would make the most of your stay.

We stayed at tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1596408-d15949…

The manager is a lovely English lady, she is very service minded and could arrange for Husky rides (and more). You can also borrow cross country skis for free. It's self accommodated apartments so you will have to do your own cooking since there are basically just a café and a "burger joint" in Porjus. But there is a supermarket and also a small shop selling local delicacy http://www.thunborgviltaffar.se/eng.html

They offer smoked reindeer, smoked salmon and more. Don't miss out on the smoked reindeer if you go there. Delicious!

The national park Stora Sjöfallet is not that far from Porjus either, simply magnificent scenery.

The Ice Hotel in Jukkasjärvi is 2-2,5 hours away by car if you want to check that out as well. Also, Jokkmokk is nearby. It has a very nice Sami museum that is well worth a visit.

In all, we had a fantastic time in Porjus and Patricia is such a warm and welcoming host. We will for sure go back sometime.

Best regards

Jörgen

Edited: 03 December 2010, 18:37
Wickford, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Lapland???

Thank you so much for your reply!

As I'm planning to travel without a tour operator, do you know if any of the airports have thermal suits I can rent there? I know that tour operators provide them when you get off the plane!

Mjolby, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Lapland???

Have not heard of anything like that at the airports.

The airports up there are very small and with limited facilities.

Best regards

Jörgen

4. Re: Where to stay in Lapland???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2011, 14:23