We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area to stay

Luzern
Level Contributor
93 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best area to stay

hi all!

Coming to Copenhagen in August for three nights with girlfriend for a music festival and my parents are also joining us... we want to work out where to stay - the hotels right in the city centre seem rather expensive for what they are like!

Which are of the city is the more alternative/interesting area for cafe's, shops etc...We were considering stay at the Avenue Hotel in Fredericksburg..which we know is residential...but is it close enough to find a place for a nice coffee in the morning etc?

Cheers

Ned

Mentioned in this post
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
Zealand, Denmark
Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best area to stay

I would keep looking for a decent price in the city. Especially around Kongens Nytorv (take a look at my reply to another post from today - with some hotel names).

While I have heard Avenue is an okay place, it's does not by any means have a residential vibe. It is in fact located right on the main artery into the city from west. Copenhagens busiest and noisiest road. And there is not much nearby when it comes to cosy cafés.

If the absolute inner city is too expensive, I would look at some of the cheaper options in Vesterbro, on or around Istedgade. A few red lightish shops in that area, though, if that bothers you. But eay more central for exploring the city and lots of nice cafés in that area.

Mentioned in this post
Vesterbro
Vesterbro
65 Reviews
Copenhagen, Denmark
Luzern
Level Contributor
93 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best area to stay

Thanks for that info! Yes the main road issue seems to be a bit of an issue. We usually also stay in b & b's or very small hotels...do you know any places that are of this mould in desirable areas?

We heard the Norrebro area is very happening and interesting these days? The bit closer to the water at least...

Copenhagen Denmark
Destination Expert
for Copenhagen
Level Contributor
626 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best area to stay

Following Tomas' suggestion of Vesterbro, maybe the Guldsmeden hotels fit your wishes and/or budget? Small friendly hotels, great breakfasts, nicely decorated and in three central Vesterbro locations.

I have not tried the ones in Copenhagen, but I have stayed at their hotel in Aarhus and liked it a lot.

www.hotelguldsmeden.dk

Mentioned in this post
Vesterbro
Vesterbro
65 Reviews
Copenhagen, Denmark
Copenhagen
Copenhagen
Zealand, Denmark
Aarhus
Aarhus
East Jutland, Denmark
Luzern
Level Contributor
93 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best area to stay

Slightly scary...I was just looking at their websites as I was typing!

Both the Carlton and Bertrams look within our budget -- if anybody has stayed at either and would advise the pros/cons of both that would be great!

5. Re: Best area to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2009, 17:25