We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash or US Credit Card for Trains, Lockers, etc.

NJ
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Cash or US Credit Card for Trains, Lockers, etc.

Hello,

We'll have a few hours to layover in Copenhagen and I have read conflicting info on the use of cash and credit cards in the city.

I spoke to my cc companies; neither US company seems to have a true chip and pin setup--apparently we use a chip and signature setup in the US, so their pin is only useful for cash advances at an ATM . . . This means that while the cards will work fine with most merchants, I have been told that I should not count on my US cards working for automated train ticket machines (and perhaps the lockers where we'll store our bags?).

I'm guessing to save time and hassle during the layover, I should secure some DKK at home before traveling? Maybe about $75 worth to cover trains and incidentals for a long afternoon (and make up the rest with credit card purchases)?

Does anyone know if my bank atm/ debit card might work using it's pin--probably not different than a cc; but maybe?

Thanks for any insights

7 replies to this topic
Como, Australia
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash or US Credit Card for Trains, Lockers, etc.

I'm confused about what you plan to do. Are you coming from the airport then going to the city for an afternoon before flying to another country?

Regarding train tickets, many train ticket machines don't take cash at all, or if they do it's coins only. Some machines at the airport, and at Copenhagen main station, do take bills. You probably want a City Pass for 80 DKK which will be good for the whole day - if you are afraid of your cards not working, you can buy this online and get it sent to your phone.

Why will you need to store your bags at lockers?

NJ
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash or US Credit Card for Trains, Lockers, etc.

Yes, we will be on a 6 hour layover in Copenhagen.

We will use the lockers for our carry on bags so we can move unencumbered through the city.

There are differing points of view regarding the ability of credit cards and bank cards from the US being useful for buying train tickets from the automatic kiosks . . .

American credit cards have a chip . . . but are still signature based and do not have the type of pin european devices are set up for. A bank debit card may work as it has a chip and an account pin.

I was hoping to find someone with recent experience with cards from the US who had purchased tickets at a kiosk in Denmark {bonus for the same for the netherlands}.

Thank you

austin,tx
Level Contributor
702 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash or US Credit Card for Trains, Lockers, etc.

Just got back. I changed $100 cash at the airport for the week. I used the last few K's the last day.

The only time I had an issue with my credit card was buying a train ticket from the ticket machine at the train station for our trip to Malmö,Sweden. Our credit card needed a PIN so we had to go to the ticket office at the station. Other than that we had no problems. One of our credit cards requires a signature and that was no issue

austin,tx
Level Contributor
702 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash or US Credit Card for Trains, Lockers, etc.

You can also download the DSB app on your phone and purchase bus, tram, train tickets as you need.

It's easy to use. We did that

NJ
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cash or US Credit Card for Trains, Lockers, etc.

Thanks for the tip . . . will it work with free wifi at the airport ?

I'm trying to avoid buying a sim card since its a short trip with three countries.

Thanks again

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cash or US Credit Card for Trains, Lockers, etc.

You might need data access for showing the tickets as well.

Are you going to 3 EU/EEA countries? If so roaming charges has been abolished in this area, so a Danish sim will work without any extra charges in the whole area.

Malmo, Sweden
Level Contributor
925 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cash or US Credit Card for Trains, Lockers, etc.

There are many Danish SIMs that don't allow roaming: prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Denmark

Lycamobile might be the only option, but I don't have any experience of my own.

It seems like Lebara has changed though, an online transaction should be enough to enable romaing: https://mobile.lebara.com/dk/en/get_roaming (but I don't know if they allow foreign credit cards)

Reply to: Cash or US Credit Card for Trains, Lockers, etc.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted