We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Trip Scandanavia

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
40 posts
18 reviews
Long Trip Scandanavia

I'm a seasoned traveller and am looking to travel in Scandanavia for about two months. I will first visit Iceland and then fly to Copenhagen. After that I'm pretty much open to suggestions, but did want to cover Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and Finland. This trip is different for me in the sense that I'll be 70 and, therefore, for the first time not be eligible to hire a car. I planned to go from city to city by air/train/bus and then hire a driver for the environs of each particular city. Timing-wise, I'm thinking April and May. I'm from Chicago so the remains of winter won't bother me. Thoughts on an itinerary?

Grand Day Trip around Copenhagen
206 Reviews
from USD 159.80*
Copenhagen Card
697 Reviews
from USD 62.50*
Copenhagen Food Tour
222 Reviews
from USD 133.20*
12 replies to this topic
Copenhagen Region...
Level Contributor
415 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Long Trip Scandanavia

Hi,

It sounds like a great idea.

Avoid misunderstandings when you communicate:

Scandinavia = Denmark, Norway and Sweden.

The Nordic Countries = The Scandinavian countries, Finland, Iceland, Faroe Islands, Greenland and Åland.

Note that it may be expensive to rent a car with a driver for the day.

If you’re up for it, public transportation is an inexpensive alternative.

We’re not travel agents and therefore can’t provide you with a full itinerary. We also can’t help you without knowing what your interests are? What do you want to see?

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
7,532 posts
71 reviews
2. Re: Long Trip Scandanavia

Copenhagen, Stockholm and Bergen should at least be included, they have a lot history, important sights & excursion options.

In Denmark, springtime warmth and vegetation blossoming starts gradually from mid-April, but Northern Scandinavia can be quite wintery for much longer.

Edited: 04 September 2018, 21:04
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
7,532 posts
71 reviews
3. Re: Long Trip Scandanavia

Overall I'd use public transport which is dense, effective and not that expensive. There's no overall public transport website for the whole of Scandinavia, though www.rome2rio.com might give you some initial ideas (info there should always be doublechecked), www.bahn.com will give you train schedules, and www.flixbus.com some of the bus schedules. For Denmark, www.journeyplanner.dk + some further budget long distance bus lines + some special budget passes in the Copenhagen region will do.

Edited: 04 September 2018, 21:26
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
53 reviews
4. Re: Long Trip Scandanavia

Also www.goeuro.com lets you compare travel options in Europe

For Flixbus use https://global.flixbus.com, not the URL mentioned in #3 which was dedicated by company to US market.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
40 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: Long Trip Scandanavia

Thanks folks. I'll do some research based on these and re-post.

Arcadia, California
Level Contributor
2,068 posts
33 reviews
6. Re: Long Trip Scandanavia

You may still be able to rent a car, the rental companies have different policies when it comes to age restrictions. I'm also over 70, and while I have not rented a car in Scandinavia, I had no problems renting in Australia.

That said, I would agree with the others and recommend that you use public transport which is excellent and reasonable, much better than anything you'd find here in the US. It also spares you the hassle of finding -expensive- parking in the cities.

Sweden
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
7. Re: Long Trip Scandanavia

For many car rental companies in Scandinavia, there is no maximum age for you to be allowed to rent a car.

https:/… provides a good overview of the maximum age for car rentals all over Europe. Finland seems to be at 97 years - the other countries don't seem to have any at all.

So if you want, you will probably be able to rent a car after all.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
14,333 posts
173 reviews
8. Re: Long Trip Scandanavia

I too am researching a trip and will be using trains. Check out https://www.seat61.com/ for lots of train information.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
40 posts
18 reviews
9. Re: Long Trip Scandanavia

Apparently being relieved of the age limit on car hire, this is the route I'm thinking about:

Denmark: 2 weeks Zealand and Jutland to Hirtshals

Norway: 1 week Ferry to Kristiansand. Transport to Bergen/Aurlandsfjorden/Jotunheimen

1 week Cruise Bergen/Kirkenes

Finland: 2 weeks Inari/Rovanieimi/Kemi/Kuopio/Savonlinna/Helsinki/Tempere/Turku

3 days Aland Islands

Sweden: 10 days Stockholm/Visby/Gotenburg/Bornholm

Back to Copenhagen and finish up with 10 days in Faroe Islands and Iceland.

Issues: A little concerned I'm light on Sweden, especially the north. Also, skipping Oslo, which on a trip this long seems ridiculous, but what I've read isn't inspiring me. Any not-worthwhile stops here? More time than even this required?

Thanks!

Sweden
Level Contributor
17 posts
9 reviews
10. Re: Long Trip Scandanavia

Instead of taking the ferry from Hirtshals to Kristiansand, you have another one that goes from Hirtshals to Stavanger and Bergen (fjord line). I would recommend taking the night ferry, which means that you would pass the most beautiful region between Stavanger and Bergen in daylight. This would save you on the driving/transportation in Norway.

When visiting Finland, I would also recommend doing a day trip to Tallinn from Helsinki. It's a really beautiful town worth seeing. You can also take the ferry from Tallinn to Åland if you like, although it will arrive in the middle of the night. If Åland is not a high priority, I would otherwise recommend on doing the ferry from Helsinki to Tallinn, then onwards by public transportation to Riga (maybe with a stop in the spa town Pärnu on the way?) and taking the ferry from there to Stockholm.

Any specific reason of choosing Bornholm? The island is beautiful, but I personally wouldn't put it on my list of things to do the first time in Scandinavia. If deciding otherwise later on, it's easy to do it as a day trip from Ystad, Sweden, and you would still be able to see some of it.

Reply to: Long Trip Scandanavia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted