We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train/Bus from Athens to Diakofto

NY
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Train/Bus from Athens to Diakofto

Hi,

We're trying to figure out the best way to get to Diakofta (Taking the scenic train from Diakofta-Kalavryta). Would it be best to take a train or bus. If the answer is train, does anyone know the schedule. The only scheduling site I could find is www.osenet.gr and while they have an english version page, all the station names still come up in Greek.

Thanks in advance,

BTW, the last I heard, the scenic train was on a one train schedule during the week, is that still the case?

Bob

Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train/Bus from Athens to Diakofto

There is in fact a train, but to get it you have to first take the Proastiakos train (suburban railway) from Athens to Kiato, where you then change to the train heading for Patra (but you get off at Diakofto (also sometimes written Diakopto)). Τhe line is Kiato - Ksylokastro - Akrata - Diakofto - and then continues to Patra. It takes one hour from when it leaves Kiato to arrive in Diakofto.

By the way, I don't blame you for not being able to figure this out from their site. They've organized the stations alphabetically in Greek, but put Kiato under the letter "P." I'm not sure why. In order for me to find the schedule, I had to run a search from Ksylokastro to Diakofto. Anyway, here are the train times. You just click on one of the trains (link to far left in blue - look at the "Intercity" ones, not the ΤΑΧΕΙΑ ΠΡΟΤΕΡΑΙΟΤΗΤΟΣ because they are really slow and stop at every little town) and it shows the route with times. The first time at the very top right is when it departs Kiato (in bold letters), and the highlighted time 4 lines down to the left (also in bold) is when it arrives Diakofto (one hour later generally).

www.ose.gr/ose/content/RSearch.aspx…

Alternatively you can take the bus from 100 Kifisou St in downtown Athens. You can call them at 210-513-6185. They leave constantly, like every half hour or so, for Patra. You can simply call and ask them for details. This is easier because you don't have to switch from the Suburban Railway to the local train line. However, you may like to take the train, many people enjoy that. :) (I'm more of a train person myself, because I get motion sickness on buses but not on trains! So when everyone else screams "TAKE THE BUS IN GREECE!" I am not one of them!)

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
8,305 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train/Bus from Athens to Diakofto

I would opt for the bus, more choice, but that's because I don't mind travelling by bus!

The Diakofto/Kalavryta train times seem to have gone back to weekends only, there was one early morning train each way a while ago I believe, but now it's not running apparently.

Check on here,

http://www.ediakopto.gr/index.php/en/

He does update the site regularly, I have been in touch by email with him & phoned OSE about the times recently for a friend, weekend only for the time being. Worth a call once you are here as there are changes all the time as work is being carried out.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Train/Bus from Athens to Diakofto

Hi Yiassas,

to my surprise, the Diakofto-Kalavryta schedules are announced on the ose.gr.

Who would've imagined, it's a really disaorganized site as Xaroula points out.

http://www.ose.gr/ose/content/RSearch.aspx?l=1&dtFrom=29-05-2009&dtTo=&stationFrom=%u0394%u0399%u0391%u039a%2c%u0394%u0399%u0391%u039a%u039f%u03a0%u03a4%u039f&stationTo=%u03a0%u039a%u0399%u0391%2c%u039a%u0399%u0391%u03a4%u039f%u039d+(%u039d%u0395%u039f%u03a3)

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Train/Bus from Athens to Diakofto

Oh dear!! is that what turned up!

ok, change menu in English, choose trainose to the left of the screen,

chose ΔΙΑΚΟΠΤΟ and ΚΑΛΑΒΡΥΤΑ {only in Greek...} and then do a search. It appears the odontos is operating on weekdays too.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
8,305 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train/Bus from Athens to Diakofto

I saw that too Diana, & they were the times that were on the other site previously, but when I rang OSE last week they said weekends only. Maybe they don't update their own site!

U.S.A. ( the land...
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train/Bus from Athens to Diakofto

:-(

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
358 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Train/Bus from Athens to Diakofto

The bus is definitely the way to go when you consider the frequency of the buses and the uncomfortable trains after Kiato. No air conditioned "Old rattlers".

A point to keep in mind, if you choose the bus, is to tell the driver that you want to get off at Diakopto. The bus will not leave the highway and go into Diakopto, but will stop at a designated Bus Stop on the highway. The only way to know that this is your stop will be when he yells out the name of the town, in this case Diakopto. He will only stop at this stop if you have told him or if someone is waiting to get on.

You will then have to walk to the train station, which is in the middle of the town.

A couple of years ago we had friends who were coming to stay with us. They caught the bus, told the driver where they wanted to get off, but didn't hear him, or didn't understand him, yell the name of their stop (the one just before yours). He stopped, but they didn't get off.

Not speaking Greek etc, they ended up in Patras and an expensive taxi ride back!

8. Re: Train/Bus from Athens to Diakofto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2009, 17:25