We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rabies ???

Lowestoft
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
42 reviews
Rabies ???

I am putting this warning on a few forums. Not to sure if they have Rabies in Zakynthos but they do have far to many cats & a cat bite has just killed a guy with Rabies in Morocco. I have seen a few times cats in restaurants coming up to people having a meal & scratching them, drawing blood to get attention to be fed. They are not cute little animals they are pests & vermin that can carry deseases. Do NOT feed them or encourage them it is for your own safety.

8 replies to this topic
Suffolk, UK
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Rabies ???

Whilst I agree that one should not feed or encourage contact with feral cats, Greece has been confirmed free of rabies in both wild and domestic animal populations - there have been no recorded cases of infected animals since 2012, when there a few cases found in Northern Greece. The last case of human rabies in Greece was in 1970. By comparison, the last case of human rabies caught in the UK was in Scotland in 2002 (caught from a bat).

So no more reason to fear rabies in the Greece than in the UK (but still don't feed the cats!)

Lowestoft
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
42 reviews
2. Re: Rabies ???

Thankyou for the information about Rabies in Greece but I will always be cautious about any animal in any foreign country & will always hate seeing people encourageing these wild ferrel cats.

Suffolk, UK
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Rabies ???

Couldn't agree more - perhaps you can persuade my partner!

Lowestoft
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
42 reviews
4. Re: Rabies ???

Also from Suffolk but thankfully not over-run with ferrel cats only pesky sea gulls that the stupid tourists feed. Perhaps if we had more cats they could keep the seagulls at bay but I'm not sure what would be the better. Try to convice the other halve these are NOT cute little domestic cats ( although I dont like them either ) they are a pest & a vermin like our seagulls.

Edited: 14 November 2018, 04:33
Shrewsbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canary Islands
Level Contributor
7,133 posts
670 reviews
5. Re: Rabies ???

JBMED, interesting facts about rabies, thanks for posting.

I am a cat lover, but there can be far to many in parts of Greece, as they are rarely neutered.

CARDIFF U.K.
Destination Expert
for Gran Canaria, Alykes, Alykanas
Level Contributor
7,266 posts
64 reviews
6. Re: Rabies ???

I don't like cats and the holidaymakers that feed these ferrell creatures whilst on the island really need to think about their actions in feeding them.This encourages these creatures into the grounds of hotels, apartment complexes, etc. They leave their excrement often on balconies and patios with results that need no explanation as well as the noise they make. They survive quite well on the natural foods they find and hunt without this artificial food supplied by holidaymakers during the Summer months. They are present year after year and survive naturally through the Winter without this false supply of unnatural food provided uneccessarliy during Summer.

London, UK
Destination Expert
for Zakynthos
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
186 reviews
7. Re: Rabies ???

So many times I've seen people with these cats and also the stray dogs, in their rooms and sleeping on the beds and eating off the plates provided in the rooms. So inconsiderate of other people using the rooms after them. Not only because of the dirt, germs and probably fleas, lots of people are allergic to animals.

London, UK
Destination Expert
for Zakynthos
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
186 reviews
8. Re: Rabies ???

With people feeding the cats during the summer they will have no reason to hunt and the rat population would probably increase (saw lots more cats this year but no rats). Don't want to see a return to the island being known as 'Rat Island' as it was many years ago when there weren't so many cats.

Reply to: Rabies ???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Zakynthos
Recent Conversations