We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tourism tax

Kettering, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
tourism tax

I am wondering if there is a website that gives full details of standards, facilities etc for Hotel star ratings in Greece. I have visited the same hotel for a number of years that has always been a 2 star (0.5 euro per night tourist tax). Now the tourism tax has been introduced it has gone up to a 4 star (3 euros a night tourist tax). According hotelstars it falls short of the 4 stars it is claiming.

11 replies to this topic
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
12,435 posts
78 reviews
1. Re: tourism tax

Which hotel is it?

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
4,193 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: tourism tax

Would this be a family hotel in Argassi?🤐

There's been a few comments about this on various social media sites. It's still being sold as 2* on travel republic etc. It they don't accept kids under 16 now!!

Edited: 05 April 2018, 19:07
Zakynthos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Zakynthos, Tsilivi, Kalamaki
Level Contributor
6,023 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: tourism tax

I think this is going to be a bit of a issue with the star ratings in Greece.

CARDIFF U.K.
Destination Expert
for Gran Canaria, Alykes, Alykanas
Level Contributor
7,266 posts
64 reviews
4. Re: tourism tax

I'm pretty sure some stars will shine a lot brighter this Season than they have done for years l.o.l. !!!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
12,435 posts
78 reviews
5. Re: tourism tax

They won’t be getting away with that, receipts have to be given & matching payments sent as tax, if they charge above their official rating it will soon be noticed! Advice to everyone, make sure you get that receipt!

The ratings will be the official GTO & won’t necessarly be the same as tour operators own ratings.

Zakynthos, Greece
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,023 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: tourism tax

They've got round more difficult things than Star Ratings in the past when laws have come in.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
12,435 posts
78 reviews
7. Re: tourism tax

Which is why I advise getting your receipt, they’ll have to match payment to tax authorities & bookings, this one won’t be so easy. Asked an owner of 3 hotels & they’ve explained the procedure, only way is if they don’t give you a receipt, or only give you one that matches the true payment they should collect rather than what they ask you to pay them.

There are hotels that haven’t had their ratings checked for a while, they may see if they can now upgrade, if they’ve done refurbishment etc, but that will mean they can put their room rates up, the tax part is irrelevant to them as it all goes to the government, unless they try the scams I’ve mentioned above.

Edited: 05 April 2018, 23:21
Zakynthos, Greece
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,023 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: tourism tax

Fingers crossed for the tourists sake. As a business owner we have receipt booklets just in case till fails, power failure etc etc just in case you can't give printed receipts so i hope we don't see these books coming out a bit more. Lets hope they inforce more checks more often now.

solihull
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: tourism tax

How much is tourist tax for the Zante Sun hotel in Sostis

Southampton, United...
Destination Expert
for Southampton, Kalamaki, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,295 posts
234 reviews
10. Re: tourism tax

Drop them an email as the star rating by a tour operator maybe different to the Greek rating which is the one upon which the tax is levied.

info@zantesunhotel.gr

Reply to: tourism tax
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Zakynthos
Recent Conversations