We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To rent a car or not?

San Francisco...
2 posts
To rent a car or not?

Hello,

For six days in august, I will be staying walking distance to Milos Beach, in what is a "pedestrian zone," so no free parking, and it seems from other threads that overnight street parking is not feasible, which is a shame because some of the local car rentals have pretty reasonable prices.

I would like to venture around the island for at least a few of those days, so I'm debating whether a car is worth the hassle or money compared to whatever buses, boats, taxis, etc might be available.

Thanks for any advice. Sorry for the broad topic!

7 replies to this topic
UK and Lefkada
Destination Expert
for Lefkada
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
69 reviews
1. Re: To rent a car or not?

Hi Jacob! I'm not sure which Milos Beach you mean, is it the Milos Beach club at Agianni, or the real Milos beach near Agios Nikitas? I think it would be the latter, because Agios Nikitas village is pedestrianised. In this case, parking in and around the village is exceptionally difficult in August, so I don't recommend having a car there if you can avoid it.

On the other hand I would strongly recommend renting a car at least for a couple of days,as public transport from the village is limited. One option might be to rent a car just for one day at a time, then you can drop it back at the car hire office at the end of the day and not have to worry about parking. On other days you could use taxis and buses to give you a few options.

Nantwich, United...
Destination Expert
for Lefkada
Level Contributor
927 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: To rent a car or not?

I would say that, whichever Milos Beach you are talking about, it is an absolute must to hire a car. There is so much of the island that can be explored, that can only be accessed by car, e.g. down to Porto Ksatsiki, Down to the lighthouse at the southern tip of the island, high up into the centre, to the Rahi Waterfalls, the spectacular views and many,many more. Lefkada can only really be fully appreciated, if the whole island is explored. I would suggest at least 3 days car hire.

3. Re: To rent a car or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2018, 03:28
Edited: 03 November 2018, 03:28

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
31 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: To rent a car or not?

Hi Jacob, definitely yes, I agree with all the fellows above. A car is a must have while in Lefkada if you wish to explore more of the island.

I visited the island last summer with my boyfriend and we rented a car from the airport. But we stayed at the place that has big garden with a private parking place for their guests.

You are welcome to check my blog post regarding our experience there.

Best regards from Amsterdam.

https:/…

San Francisco...
2 posts
5. Re: To rent a car or not?

Hi!

So we are going to arrive tomorrow evening and we have a car rental set for about 55 Euros a day. Finally actually in Greece for the first time so I have some idea maybe of what to expect. Are there any better alternatives, as Santorini has made me want to save some money from now on! Is Lefkada too big and are the roads to fast to travel on a cheaper vehicle like an ATV or Scooter? Is it easy to rent a car on the spot somewhere instead of have it for 6 days (when we might not use it every day)

Thanks,

Jacob

UK and Lefkada
Destination Expert
for Lefkada
Level Contributor
1,981 posts
69 reviews
6. Re: To rent a car or not?

You would be quite limited on a scooter, you could explore the local area and visit a few beaches but longer trips into the mountains and more distant beaches would be slow and uncomfortable. It's not that the roads are too fast mostly, it's that they can be a bit rough with many potholes and uneven surfaces. Riding any kind of scooter, motorcycle or quad bike is ok if you are an experienced biker, but personally I wouldn't recommend it if you're not, just as a way of saving money - though I get why you'd want to do that, after Santorini!

A car is safer and more comfortable. It is often cheaper to rent on the spot rather than pre-book, but in the high season maybe not, and you might find there are no cars available at short notice.

If it's any consolation, you'll find most things...food, drinks, accommodation... noticeably cheaper in Lefkada than Santorini, which is probably the most expensive destination in all of Greece!

Lefkada, Greece
Level Contributor
39 posts
18 reviews
7. Re: To rent a car or not?

Daily car hire out of Agios Nikitas - there are a couple of car hire offices and ask them if you can return the car to them each evening for parking. Your accommodation should be walking distances to the offices if it is close to Milos Beach.

Ionian Car Rental or Green Motion are based in Agios Nikitas. There is also a good bus service along that coast and into town but if you want to explore some of the more secluded parts of the island (advisable when it is so busy) a car is the best option

Reply to: To rent a car or not?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lefkada
Recent Conversations