We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good news (partly!) on beach access roads

UK and Lefkada
Destination Expert
for Lefkada
Level Contributor
1,898 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
good news (partly!) on beach access roads

Here is an update from the Lefkada tourist office on the roads to the west coast beaches, which were damaged the year before last:

<<The construction of the roads to our "famous" beaches, which suffered serious damage with the earthquake of 2015, continues. The road to Gialos is running normally and will be in use around the end of June. Unfortunately, technical reasons do not allow the same for the road to Egremni. Access for this year will be done only by sea.>>

The road to Porto Katsiki beach is open as normal, although access to some parts of the beach is restricted for safety reasons. The other beaches further north were not affected.

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Lefkada
Lefkada
Ionian Islands, Greece
Egremni Beach
Egremni Beach
1,466 Reviews
Lefkada, Greece
Porto Katsiki
Porto Katsiki
2,432 Reviews
Lefkada, Greece
5 replies to this topic
UK and Lefkada
Destination Expert
for Lefkada
Level Contributor
1,898 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: good news (partly!) on beach access roads

I don't have any "new" news, just pushing this back up the heap, so that people see the most recent info! If anyone has any recent information or first-hand experience, please add it here! Thanks.

Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: good news (partly!) on beach access roads

Hi there! Does anybody know if this summer (July-August 2018) there will be access to that small walking pass-

vantage point, on the cliffs surrounding Porto Katsiki, the one that was destroyed at the earthquake? Any info is much appreciated, thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Porto Katsiki
Porto Katsiki
2,432 Reviews
Lefkada, Greece
UK and Lefkada
Destination Expert
for Lefkada
Level Contributor
1,898 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: good news (partly!) on beach access roads

Hi Bianca! I have no news on this. There is no way of knowing whether they will fix it in time for summer 2018, it is not an easy job and they have to be safety conscious. I guess we'll have to wait until next spring, and hopefully anyone who goes there early in the year will update us.

Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: good news (partly!) on beach access roads

Hi Kyklamina, and efharisto! You are right, we just need till spring, it's too early to know now. Especially since there is always bad weather this time of year, I read the news about the cyclone Zenon that hit Lefkada a few days ago, my heart cringes hoping there won't be more damages to the roads and pathways! I am praying everything and everyone stays safe and sound, and my thoughts go to the families of the flooding victims in Greece...apparently November is a hard month :(

Edited: 24 November 2017, 11:23
Mentioned in this post
Lefkada
Lefkada
Ionian Islands, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
UK and Lefkada
Destination Expert
for Lefkada
Level Contributor
1,898 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: good news (partly!) on beach access roads

Hi Bianca,

From what I've heard, there were a few rock falls and landslips on the roads in Lefkada, but no more than they often get with the winter storms. There was some short-lived flooding but no loss of life or major damage, happily. I'm sure the roads will be cleared very quickly. Greek people are amazingly resilient at coping with this sort of thing, they just get on with it!

Sadly there were at least 20 lives lost at Mandra in Attica where the flooding was worst, and many homes businesses flooded. Our hearts go out to them.

Edited: 24 November 2017, 17:02
Mentioned in this post
Lefkada
Lefkada
Ionian Islands, Greece
Attica
Attica
Greece
Reply to: good news (partly!) on beach access roads
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lefkada
Recent Conversations