We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is 6 nights too many in Santorini???

Lake Cathie...
Level Contributor
118 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Is 6 nights too many in Santorini???

Hi there, we arrive in Santorini for 6 nights next June at 5pm so there goes 1st day.

We were going to stay for 4 nights then ferry to Paros for 2 nights then flight home from

Athens but wondering if there is enough to do in Santorini for 6 nights now?? We live by the beach here in Australia so would prefer to sightsee and i picture the beautiful streets to wander in? OR should we ferry to Paros for last 2 nights as flight leaves from Athens? My only other thought was 5 nights in Santorini and 1 night in Athens??? Thank you in advance.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is 6 nights too many in Santorini???

Hi there

Regardless of whichever island you choose to see after Santorini, it's pointless going there for just two nights which equates to just one full day, all you'll experience of that island is the area around the port town and have no real time to absorb the local history, scenery, food or people. You certainly want to be back in Athens the night prior to your homebound flight unless that flight departs very late in the final day.

Do you want to allow any sightseeing time to Athens or simply get back there for your return flight to Oz?

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,070 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is 6 nights too many in Santorini???

I think lots depend on your own pace... Have a leisure long breakfast, get bus to X place, visit Y attraction, then have a coffee and people watch, walk around, have lunch, get bus back to hotel, have a siesta, relax in room, then walk around, window shop, have pre-dinner drinks, have long dinner, go to bar is a different day to have an early start, drive early to attraction A, visit as soon as gate opens, then drive to village B for photos, then to C for Z activity and quick lunch, then an hour to the beach, then drive to D to check out shops or join whatever activity,, then finally return to hotel for a shower, going for dinner and planning next day's schedule before going to sleep.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,998 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is 6 nights too many in Santorini???

Regardless of the island, 6 nights will fly by.

Lake Cathie...
Level Contributor
118 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is 6 nights too many in Santorini???

Our flight leaves for Aussie at 4.30 pm and I haven't booked flight back to Athens yet till we decide?

We have never been to Athens so maybe we should at least see the Acropolis. Would you fly back the day before which would then give us 5 nights at Santorini and this is the end of our first 4 week trip to Europe!!

Cant wait!!! Thanks

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is 6 nights too many in Santorini???

Hi again

I would try to allow at least a full day to take in some of the major outdoor sights in Athens, everything is in a very compact area, so if you could fly back from Santorini the previous day, as early as is practical, that would allow you a few hours that day, plus a few hours the following day before your flight returns to Oz. You'd need to allow an hour to get to the airport from the city plus at least two hours check in time so you'd need to leave central Athens by 1.30pm at the absolute latest. If you can leave your bags at the hotel ( no reason why you couldn't), get to the Acropolis early, it opens at 8am, and beat the majority of the crowds, spend a couple of hours there till around 10am, which gives you a further couple of hours before you need to get back to the hotel for your bags.

These are Athens' main sights, if you can fit in a few of these in your two part days at the end of the trip, you'll have had your money's worth for sure..

Acropolis

Temple of Zeus

Hadrian's arch

Theatre of Dionysos

Hadrian's Library

Ancient agora

Roman agora

Karameikos cemetary

Panathinaic stadium

Roman Bath excavations

Fruit, veg, fish and meat markets on Athinas St

Obviously, you won't have time to see all these, but they are all close to each other so pick what appeals to you.

Lake Cathie...
Level Contributor
118 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is 6 nights too many in Santorini???

WOW thanks. It is starting to make more sense i suppose and perhaps safer to be closer to the airport too the day before. Now that would mean only 5 nights in Santorini which really would be 4 full days so I assume that wouldn't be too rushed.Thanks again for all your thoughts. .

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is 6 nights too many in Santorini???

Well, I've only visited Santorini once and that was many years ago but four full days should be fine, after all, the island is only 12 miles long.

Lake Cathie...
Level Contributor
118 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is 6 nights too many in Santorini???

Thanks, can you suggest what area should we stay in Athens as we would want to be within walking distance to the Acropolis and the other sites you mentioned?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is 6 nights too many in Santorini???

Hey and welcome Di2012:-) The central areas around Syntagma Square, Plaka, Monasterki, Koukaki all work well;-) Lots of it pedestrianized.. all merge at some point as well:-) If you provide a budget spread, am sure you'll get loads of recs here.. lots of properties in area that cover the gamut in budgets;-)

Good call by flying in the day before your long haul back home;-) 4 full days in Santorini will give you ample time to take in this beautiful isle.. don't miss Akrotiri;-) Best.. and EnJOY!

Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is 6 nights too many in Santorini???

I travelled to santorini earlier this year, I flew over from barcelona for a three day scuba diving class and ended up staying two weeks spending 10 out of the 14 days in the water diving and snorkeling with Agean Divers, best fun ive had in a long time.