We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kimolos Trip Report & Photos

UK
Level Contributor
305 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Kimolos Trip Report & Photos

Hi everyone

Our 2013 hols were spent on Sifnos, Milos, Kimolos and Serifos

Here is a report and some pictures from Kimolos

…travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/…tpod.html

Hopefully some of you will find this interesting

10 replies to this topic
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,902 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kimolos Trip Report & Photos

wow,certainly the best trip report i've read so far..ive been to this wonderful tiny island...i loved the plastic bags with bread waiting for the locals outside the closed bakery,the chasing for the money(very common in greece,we do it all the time among us,wanting to pay the bill),the fact that everyone knows each other so the hotel owner spoke to the bus driver to arrange the drive.that's a 100% authentic greek experience...

like you said,''f you are looking for a more authentic greek island experience rather than a sophisticated holiday resort then, like us, you may be charmed by the island and its inhabitants'''

Houston
Level Contributor
947 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kimolos Trip Report & Photos

Great report! I loved reading about your experiences on Kimolos, especially the part about the missing veal. The way you handled it in going back the next night shows what kind people you are. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,660 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kimolos Trip Report & Photos

What a fantastic blog Mark and lovely photos too. I was sat reading it with a big smile on my face. So sorry we didn't get to Kimolos this year but after reading your blog it is definitely on my list of islands to visit in the future. Not sure when that will be as having to 'make do' with a week in Crete next June but hopefully will be island hopping again in 2015 ;-)

UK
Level Contributor
305 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kimolos Trip Report & Photos

There's some great places on Crete Gemma.

We are currently working on a plan for Schinousa, Koufonissi Amorgos and Naxos for next year.

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,029 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kimolos Trip Report & Photos

I agree that that's a great blog, Mark. It was an interesting read, especially as I went a couple of years ago. I'm glad you enjoyed it and found the locals friendly.

For me it wasn't one of the best islands. That's probably because I didn't benefit from the help you had from Katerina and because I was alone whereas if there are two of you it doesn't matter if everywhere is very quiet.

Kendal, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kimolos Trip Report & Photos

great report. we are in the middle of planning a similar trip and want to take in Kythnos and Kea too. We are going in June and trying to plan the ferry links. Greek Travel Pages are so helpful.

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,898 posts
944 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kimolos Trip Report & Photos

We will be interested to what you think of Kythnos and Kea - post reports

Mark, enjoyed reading your Kimolos post again

Kendal, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kimolos Trip Report & Photos

great report. we are planning to visit in mid June. does anyone know if there will be a bus running then or is it only in high season? we are also not sure if we need to book somewhere for our 2 nights, or just to wait until we arrive. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

UK
Level Contributor
305 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kimolos Trip Report & Photos

We were there for the last week in June and the bus was running. I suspect there will always be a minimum service to cater for the islanders and that as the season progresses into July the island gets busier and the bus runs a bit more often (supply and demand). It all seemed very charming, relaxed and flexible

We often saw the bus down by the port picking up locals and a few tourists from the ferry and also saw it all over the island picking up and dropping off

We had prebooked accommodation. I'm sure there will be lots of vacancies in June but the places are scattered about, it's quite a walk up to Chora and you could waste a lot of time getting it sorted. Personally I would arrange it before I arrived as looking for a room is not my idea of fun but there's quite a lot of people who would say otherwise so it depends what you like to do on your hols. It's all good

Hope this helps

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,029 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kimolos Trip Report & Photos

When I was on Kimolos in August a couple of years ago the little bus made several trips to the port and back and did a trip to the southern beaches at least 3 times a day and a trip to the eastern beaches about 3 times a day. When I arrived I was the only person on the bus (after the little ferry from Milos arrived) and the driver went out of his way to drop me off near my accommodation. I was green and didn't realise how near the port the bottom of chora is - I could have walked it.

Kimolos chora is one of the most difficult places to find your way around that I have come across. All the facilities are scattered amongst the houses - there is no centre.

Edited: 21 March 2014, 06:20
Reply to: Kimolos Trip Report & Photos
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kimolos
Recent Conversations