We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most days at which island?: Ios, Mykonos, Santorini, Naxos

9 posts
Save Topic
Most days at which island?: Ios, Mykonos, Santorini, Naxos

Hello,

I am planning on going to Greece and currently have trips to Athens, Ios, Mykonos, Santorini, and Naxos. I have enough time to do three days at each location, but four at one of them.

Which island would you recommend spending four days at rather than three? Or would you recommend cutting my days at one of the locations to two and doing four days at two locations?

I understand Mykonos has more sights to see, Naxos has hiking, Ios and Mykonos have partying, and Santorini and Mykonos are expensive. Do you all have any other insights or recommendations? Any would be appreciated!

13 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
8,246 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most days at which island?: Ios, Mykonos, Santorini, Naxos

<I understand Mykonos has more sights to see,>>

More than Ios, yes, but not more than the other two islands unless by "sights" you mean restaurants, bars and shops.

Naxos is the biggest island of the bunch, with much more to see (dozens of different mountain villages, compared to none on Mykonos, to name but one example), so I would recommend spending at least four days there.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most days at which island?: Ios, Mykonos, Santorini, Naxos

Naxos is the one I would spend longest on.

Santorini is a "must see" as it is unique.

I would probably cut the other two completely but I'm not you!

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
638 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most days at which island?: Ios, Mykonos, Santorini, Naxos

Unless you're *really* into partying:

Ios--2

Mykonos--2

Santorini--2

Naxos--6

I'd also consider spending just the one day on Mykonos and adding the spare to either Naxos or Santorini.

Edited: 11 May 2018, 05:33
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
5,579 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most days at which island?: Ios, Mykonos, Santorini, Naxos

This is what you can expect in Naxos. 4 days is a minimum for Naxos a week is better..

Naxos Mountains and Villages flickr.com/photos/…

Naxos Town flickr.com/photos/…

Trip around Naxos flickr.com/photos/…

9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Most days at which island?: Ios, Mykonos, Santorini, Naxos

Interesting— Didn’t know there was that little to do on those islands besides party and drink, and I didn’t know Naxos had such a wealth of things to do relative to other islands. I was just going a bit off of the frequency which I hear the islands referenced, and for some reason I’ve tended to hear about Ios, Santorini, and Mykonos more. I would say I am far more inclined towards nature, history, and hiking than partying, so it sounds like I have some reevaluating to do.

9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Most days at which island?: Ios, Mykonos, Santorini, Naxos

Wow, that really looks beautiful. Thanks for the pictures, they’re certainly swaying me towards Naxos.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
12,048 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Most days at which island?: Ios, Mykonos, Santorini, Naxos

I agree with spending longer on Naxos but personally I love Ios and I'm definitely not into partying - though it depends what time of year you are going, we usually go in June. Ios has a really attractive Chora and I love wandering round it.

Two nights wouldn't be long enough for me on Santorini, not if you want to visit Akrotiri and Ancient Thera as well as Fira and Oia. Also Santorini doesn't have to be expensive if you stay at one of the beach resorts - Kamiri or Perissa - though you don't get the stunning views from there, but there is a very good bus service.

I've never stayed longer than 2 nights on Mykonos as that's long enough for me - but we're all different.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Most days at which island?: Ios, Mykonos, Santorini, Naxos

Would you go to Santorini if you're going with kids? My kids are 11, 14 and 16 and 21. Right now we're going to Mykonos and Crete. But seeing your Naxos photos, I'm wondering if we should reduce Mykonos to 2 nights and Crete to 3 nights so we can spend 3 nights in Naxos. I'm trying not to hop too much but I'm not sure what is best to choose!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
783 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Most days at which island?: Ios, Mykonos, Santorini, Naxos

Jake Santorini and Mykonos get a LOT of visits on this forum - possibly more than any other islands!! This doesn't mean that they have more than the others to offer as you have seen.

Definitely have longer on Naxos than you can embrace the atmosphere and have a relaxing time too....

Dorking, United...
Level Contributor
325 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Most days at which island?: Ios, Mykonos, Santorini, Naxos

It also depends on the time of year for your visit. They are all special. We are 68/70 but we still enjoyed IOS as we were revisiting from visiting all the islands from our student backpacking days. iOS chora is pretty and Manganari is special so don't reject. Do leave some time for sitting around near the chora of all the islands to soak up the atmosphere and have a few drinks.

Edited: 13 May 2018, 21:49
Reply to: Most days at which island?: Ios, Mykonos, Santorini, Naxos
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted