We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New ferries for Western Cyclades

Ostend, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Argolis Region
Level Contributor
6,775 posts
24 reviews
New ferries for Western Cyclades

The Council fo Coastal Transport has given the green light (after months of discussions between ferry companies and objections by f.i. Seajets) to Golden Star Ferries to deploy 2 new highspeed ferries to the Western Cyclades.

One will be based in Piraeus, the 2nd ferry will be based in Syros. A schedule is not published yet but both vessels will start their trips at 10AM. One vessel will go from Piraeus to Syros via the Western Cyclades islands, the 2nd vessel will do the reverse route from Syros to Piraeus.

A request by Minoan Lines to deploy the ferry Mykonos Palace for 4 months (1 June -> 30 September) on a route Piraeus - Syros - Mykonos - Naxos has been denied.

naftemporiki.gr/story/1348474/request-by-min…

6 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
396 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: New ferries for Western Cyclades

Thanks for the info, Nicksy. Your finger is "on the pulse" as usual. I always thought that Syros was quite poorly linked (with the exception of Piraeus), particularly as it is the administrative capital of the Cyclades, and it is often quite difficult to get to the western Cyclades and even Naxos sometimes. This can be a good thing too, of course, as the island is not overrun at any time. Where does it give the full details of these new routes? I can only see the article about the Minoan rejection, and a couple of lines regarding the new routes.

Edited: 10 May 2018, 16:29
Ostend, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Argolis Region
Level Contributor
6,775 posts
24 reviews
2. Re: New ferries for Western Cyclades

These are the routes Golden Star ferries applied for in December last year:

Piraeus -> Sifnos -> Milos -> Folegandros -> Santorini -> Amorgos (Katapola) -> Koufonissi -> Naxos -> Mykonos -> Paros -> Ios -> Santorini -> Naxos -> Paros -> Mykonos -> Syros.

Return route: Syros -> Tinos -> Mykonos -> Naxos -> Santorini -> Ios -> Naxos -> Mykonos -> Naxos -> Santorini -> Folegandros -> Milos -> Sifnos -> Serifos -> Piraeus.

See also this thread: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18939…

London, United...
Level Contributor
396 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: New ferries for Western Cyclades

Thanks, Nicksy.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
199 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: New ferries for Western Cyclades

Thanks for the info! Any ideas when the schedules will be released and the ferries start running? Are these supposed to be good ferries? Am hoping we could use them instead of the Seajet 2 to get from Milos to Naxos in June.....

Ostend, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Argolis Region
Level Contributor
6,775 posts
24 reviews
5. Re: New ferries for Western Cyclades

I expect them to start soon, as it was intended to start with these routes already a few weeks ago. But I'm afraid both vessels are about the same size (or just a little bit bigger) than the Seajet2.

Supercat (ex Krilo Eclipse): https:/…forward

Superspeed (ex Karolin): https:/…forward

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
199 posts
16 reviews
6. Re: New ferries for Western Cyclades

Ah, ok - will wait and see what schedules get released :-) Thanks again!

Reply to: New ferries for Western Cyclades
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted