We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost Of Living Bali?

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Cost Of Living Bali?

Hoping to return to Bali next year (its an almost definate) after first going there in 1990 with my girlfriend, now wife.

It was very small with only a few Tavernas and bars and I have heard it has expanded somewhat. During the week we spent about £250 between us on food and drink, we were even room only!

In recent years we have been going to Spain with the children who are now small adults and eat adult meals. All inclusive has been the norm but to be honest im getting a bit bored of AI and I am really liking the idea of self catering, with a view to eating out most days / nights, not cooking much really. Spain is quite expensive now (Ibiza particularly) to eat out.

It is up to £1000 more to go AI for an 8 night trip so will our £1000 go far in Bali?

How much are typical items?

Thanks in advance

Paul

Alexakis
Wineries & Vineyards
Elissos
Historical & Heritage Tours
Boutari Winery
Wineries & Vineyards
Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
3,110 posts
188 reviews
1. Re: Cost Of Living Bali?

Hi Paul, I was in Bali in July. Like most of Greece the prices have really jumped since you were last there. I started going to Greece about 20 years ago and at that time it was so cheap. It's different now I am afraid.

With regard to alcohol. If we were going self catering we used to always buy a couple of bottles for the apartment. It was almost always better to do this after arriving as it was cheaper than the duty free we had in those days. Now of course we don't get duty free and the prices of alcohol have sky rocketed. A standard bottle of Scotch was about £18 to £20 in Bali, dearer than here at home.

Drinks in bars and restaurants are also quite expensive, Some of them were taking as much as 7 euros for a whisky or a brandy and the measures are significantly smaller, I would say about half of what we used to get, The going rate for a pint of beer is 3 euros.

The good news is that the Greek food is as good as ever and still relatively cheap. Most restaurants charge about 4 euros for a Greek salad starter. This is almost always enough for at least two people. Main courses in the restaurants range from about 4 to 12 euros. You don't need to buy a dessert because in Crete they still offer you some free fruit and a Raki or a home made liqueur after your meal. We normally just drink Retsina with our food and this is still reasonably priced. From memory I would say that a typical meal for two consisting of a Greek salad and a main each would cost about 25 to 30 euros. this would include retsina and perhaps a beer.

In conclusion, I would say that £1000 would be more than enough to cover your eating and drinking for eight nights and it would be much more enjoyable than A/I. Bali is still quite small but it now has more than enough restaurants to keep you happy on 8 night holiday. Try the Karavostasi (along the cliff walk), Valentino's and the Galini. We really enjoyed them but I have to say that you cannot go wrong. We were not disappointed in any of the restaurants we ate in.

2. Re: Cost Of Living Bali?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2014, 16:20