We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit Samaria Gorge

Newcastle, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Visit Samaria Gorge

Staying in Gouvas but want to visit Samaria Gorge . is this it possible to do this and return to Gourvas in a day ?

oxford
Level Contributor
370 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit Samaria Gorge

It will be long day you will struggle by public transport unless you get a taxi to Hiraklion to catch the first bus to Chania. You either need acar to drive to chania or go on an organised trip. Which ever way you look at it it will be along day

Bus timetables which will probably be useful anyway www.bus-service-crete-ktel.com/timetable.php… FYI Gouves is 30 mins after Hiraklion time and 25 minutes after Malia time. Don't ask me how as the total journey time Malia to Hiraklion is 1hr

Edited: 26 September 2013, 01:56
London, United...
Level Contributor
20,592 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit Samaria Gorge

I wouldn't consider it - not if you want to enjoy and experience the gorge, which is one of Crete's most wonderful places, amongst many wonderful places. You would be looking at an almost 24-hour day: little sleep the previous night, 5-6 hours bus journey depending on the Gouves-Heraklion connection to Omalos, and an even longer journey back at the end of the day, having spent 5-6 hours walking.\

People do it all the time - but it really isn't worth it. If you're absolutely determined, though, then take an organised excursion. There may even be one from Gouves. Otherwise, either leave it for another trip - and stay in Chania, from where it will be infinitely easier; or spend two nights in Chania now, and do the trip in comfort. You'll enjoy it much more.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
12,269 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit Samaria Gorge

Not sure if you're there now or not?

It is a long journey, I'm not recommending it, but if you really want to do it, it can be done by organised tour; just ask at any of the travel shops, for instance Mike's on the road behind the Island hotel.

You'll be looking at a 5 a.m. start I should think, and won't get back till about 10 p.m.

4. Re: Visit Samaria Gorge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2014, 14:19
Get answers to your questions about Heraklion