We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfers from Heraklion airport

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Transfers from Heraklion airport

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help me. My husband and I have found a couple of lovely looking holidays in the current sale, one in Chania and one a little up the road in Almyrida.

This is for a week in October, with a flight arriving around midday on a Sunday.

However we have looked up transfers online and through the agent and it is saying that only a private transfer is available and it would actually add £300 to our holiday price. The cheapest we found was about £80 per person each way. Ouch!

I know October is probably low season and shared transfers may not run, but can anyone give any advice on how to pay less for a transfer to either Almyrida or Chania Town hotels?

Many thanks,

Esther

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,919 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfers from Heraklion airport

There is very little demand for shuttle transfers from Heraklion to Chania - people just fly into Chania! Is that an option for you?

But you can easily beat the prices you've found:

cretataxitransfer.gr/en/destinations_rates.h…

So less than £100 to Almyrida, which is near Kalyves, and about £110 to Chania

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
3,675 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfers from Heraklion airport

Call me suspicious but is the company you are considering booking with acting in your interest? They have a cheap flight to Heraklion and cheap accommodation available in Chania and hope to get bookings accordingly, the only problem being the transfer distance. So they leave the transfer to you.

As Steve says maybe you should look elsewhere but with a direct flight to Chania which I can only assume will be available from a local airport near you.

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfers from Heraklion airport

Or you could go by bus, if you're not in a rush. First by bus (or short taxi ride) to Heraklio bus station, where you can get a bus to Rethymno & on to Chania. About 2 1/2 hours from Heraklio to Chania.

For Almyrida, you'd get off the bus at Kalyves & get a taxi to Almyrida, just a 5 min ride: although you'll want to either book this or you need to walk from the highway into Kalyves village - maybe 10 mins not fun with luggage.

or, of course, a hire car, which wouldn't be too expensive in October. no more than 2 hours drive to Almyrida. Another 20 mins to Chania. An easy drive along the highway.

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfers from Heraklion airport

Thank you very much for your replies. We are surprised that British Airways is advertising this deal in its holiday sale, so we are searching for the same hotel/area deals to Chania airport instead. Failing that, we will take your excellent advice and either hire a car or try the local bus. But a two hour transfer for a short holiday isn't ideal really.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfers from Heraklion airport

Bear in mind Heraklion is a pretty chaotic airport so it might take you a while to get your bags and get out. Chania is a much better option! Can't you book flight and hotel direct yourself?! Lots of good deals these days....

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfers from Heraklion airport

Yes, Chania is a much smaller, simpler, nicer airport: quicker & easier to navigate! & It's a pleasant, scenic drive to Almyrida - around 35 mins, with nice views much of the way. Or 10-15 mins into Chania - easy by bus or taxi. Maybe look at booking direct with the airline & hotel.

London, United...
Level Contributor
246 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transfers from Heraklion airport

Take a look at Ryanair to Chania from Stansted, they have good prices/flight times, and their service is surprisingly good on these longer flights.

8. Re: Transfers from Heraklion airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11 March 2016, 04:55
Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transfers from Heraklion airport

Don't be afraid of hiring a car at Heraklion. The 2 hour drive is easy with great scenery along their motorway (1k from the airport) which isn't heavy traffic at all. A car hire will cost you roughly the same as a one way transfer.. Then you have the benefit of having the car for the duration of your holiday to do with what you want, then simply leave it at the airport on your return. Even a Taxi return from Chania Airport into Chania will be 50€. You should get a car for 7 days for about 100 - 120€ . There are many beaches and places to go to keep your car busy. Enjoy.

Edited: 20 July 2015, 21:24
Level Contributor
11 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transfers from Heraklion airport

I am currently in Heraklion. You can catch a bus from right ourside the airport to town in about ten minutes for less than two euros. From the bus station where you will be dropped off a bus to Chania town will take a little less than three hours and cost fifteen euros each and drop you right in Chania town. This providing nothing changes in the month of October. We flew into Chania...taxi will cost thirty euros roughly. Or have your hotel pick you up and save the hassle of a cab driver. A bus will also run from the airport to Chania town.