We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoking in Restaurants

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Smoking in Restaurants

Kalispera - Not wanting a debate about smoking but this has reminded me to ask – are restaurants (inside and outside) non smoking or do they at least have non-smoking areas – nothing more off putting than wafts of smoke when eating in beautiful surroundings. Efharisto (Practising my Greek!!!)

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoking in Restaurants

Don't think outside is non smoking, and if off beaten track I don't think anyone takes much notice. We weren't troubled particularly.

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,675 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoking in Restaurants

It seems that people smoke more or less when and where they want still in Greece. I think inside is technically non-smoking but lots of places seem to ignore it.

Chania Town, Greece
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoking in Restaurants

Inside restaurants the law says non-smoking. Most uphold this (but not all). Outside people smoke anywhere. If you're sensitive to it, check out who has fags/ashtray on their table &/or sit at the edge. No, that won't stop smokers sitting next to you later.

Finland
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoking in Restaurants

inside mostly no smoking but outside no restrictions

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smoking in Restaurants

I don't like eating near cigarette smoke either, but I'm pleased to say we had no problem on our recent trip, and we ate outdoors all the time :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smoking in Restaurants

Efharisto everyone (thank you).

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smoking in Restaurants

As a non-smoker we really get upset when we are eating and someone lights up. There are laws in Greece about smoking in public areas but for the most part it's not fully enforced. Be polite and smoke outside the dining area. You can hold off . . . can't you?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Smoking in Restaurants

.. the laws are for inside .. you can smoke pretty much anywhere outside.. most especially at the tavernas/cafes, etc.. for the most part, when you get out of the mainstream areas.. more into the rural towns/villages, many places have no rules regardless of the law allowing smoking inside and out;-) Enjoy all!

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Smoking in Restaurants

In many parts of Europe they are way ahead of the US in social and environmental issues such as energy efficiency, smaller vehicles, wind generators, solar water/electricity, nudism, racism, etc. But when it comes to smoking which has been proven to be a cause of cancer and other major diseases they are way behind the US. I don't get it . . . how can countries that are years ahead of the US in many issues still think lighting up a cigarette wherever you go is fine and you'll not get sick from it?!

10. Re: Smoking in Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 August 2015, 06:05