We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drapanos

Amble, United...
Level Contributor
600 posts
30 reviews
Drapanos

while beginning our search for a small bolthole, can anyone tell me why there are so many houses for sale in Drapanos, is there a problem in the area ????

10 replies to this topic
1. Re: Drapanos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 July 2018, 08:19

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
27,029 posts
398 reviews
2. Re: Drapanos

It's further out from the more popular expat area's such as Almyrida, Plaka and Kokkino Chorio so prices will be lower.

Amble, United...
Level Contributor
600 posts
30 reviews
3. Re: Drapanos

Ah, thank you, no, I don't want an expat area, I'm taking Greek lessons so would rather have Cretan neighbours, I'm positioning my search east of and including Rethymno, as our local airport only flies to Iraklion , I was just curious about the large amount of houses for sale there xx

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,925 posts
45 reviews
4. Re: Drapanos

Good luck with your search Karen. I’m forever grateful for the advice I received on this forum from both Greeks and non-Greeks when we were looking to buy in 2015.

Like you, I certainly didn’t want to end up in an community of ‘Brits wanting a bit of England in the sun’ as I was (and still am) learning Greek and very much into the Greek culture and way of life.

Most of the people I have met since owning our house are local Greek people, from our lawyer, electrician, painter & decorator, to the family who own the local car rental firm and the other family who run the village store and sell their own delicious homegrown olive oil. They have all been very welcoming and hopefully we’ve been able to give something back to the community by using their services.

Luckily the few other expats I have come across seem to be like minded people who also want to embrace the Greek culture and language and generally blend in with the local community. Thankfully there are none of those huge, awful complexes of Brits wanting to keep to themselves anywhere on Crete!

I wish you all the best, it was certainly the best decision we ever made (even though it seemed like a bit of a risk at the time).

PS. As for Drapanos, it is the least picturesque village in the area and has no sea view. I suspect the builder bought the land cheap and built the houses just before the financial crash, poor chap.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
12,339 posts
230 reviews
5. Re: Drapanos

Hi Karen W

having travelled extensively across most of the island for over 15 years I think you will find expats everywhere on the island, and it's really up to you whether you decide embrace the culture or not.

I can recommend purchasing a property on Crete it was the best decision we made, but before you commit to purchasing, and if you are intending on staying in the winter months do spend sometime in your preferred location during the winter

If you need any advice then happy to help do send me a pm :-)

Amble, United...
Level Contributor
600 posts
30 reviews
6. Re: Drapanos

Thank you, we aren't retired (yet) and only plan to spend time april to october but have looked at eot licensing and decided upon a 'lock up and leave' (the key with a neighbour) and our accountant has advised using an agent in case of problems/emergencies, anyhow, the search goes on, preferably a town towards the south with relatively easy access to Rethymno and/or Iraklion. the other option being a long term rental when we do retire, a case of 'try before you buy' x

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,925 posts
45 reviews
7. Re: Drapanos

Hi Karen,

The search is the fun part I think! I watched the property websites in Crete for at least a year beforehand so had a good idea of how the current market was doing.

Trying before you buy is the most sensible option but we were just too impatient, lol. We are also not retired, in fact we have many years to go so decided to just bite the bullet while prices were low. At the moment we only use our property about 3 times a year between April and Oct, but one day we hope to spend at least 6 months of the year (we can but dream).

If I can be of any help please let me know. Like I said we got loads of helpful advice from the forum back in 2015 so it would be nice to return the favour. Here is a link to my original post, hopefully you will find some useful information on it too.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189…

London, United...
Level Contributor
20,949 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: Drapanos

Hi Karen

A long-term "try before you buy" rental is wise. Even after retirement, it's wise to keep a base in the UK so that in case the plan goes pear-shaped at some point - or if you simply wanted to return - you haven't completely burned your bridges. I've known of people who regretted not doing that: left the UK completely, then wanted to return, but found themselves priced out of the market.

Wydcombe, I've just read through the thread you linked Karen to. It's a great success story, and full of helpful advice which I would imagine is equally relevant now, three years later.

Best of luck, Karen: I hope you enjoy the journey and find just what you want.

Edited: 25 July 2018, 06:04
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
12,339 posts
230 reviews
9. Re: Drapanos

Hi again

I think getting an EOT license now is getting easier with the changes in the law..... but I am not sure we would have a purchased a property if we needed to rent it out to cover the running costs, as the beauty of having a holiday home is that we don’t need to take any luggage, and there’s no unpacking either ....and not sure we would want anyone using it anyway :-)

Great link Wydcombe with some great advice.

Amble, United...
Level Contributor
600 posts
30 reviews
10. Re: Drapanos

Thank you all for your advice, I will read the post thoroughly and take any advice gladly,

Karen

Reply to: Drapanos
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted