We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ideal wish-list location for october please?

lincoln
Level Contributor
222 posts
40 reviews
ideal wish-list location for october please?

hi

never been to crete before and looking for somewhere hot in early october to visit. we're told the south coast would be warmer which sounds about right.

we'd be looking at staying for 10 days, with a car for maybe 4 of those, booked through a friendly local company rather than the big boys. we definitely want a lovely sandy beach within walking distance, the shallower, sandier adn more picturesque the better, and a nice selection of bars/restaurants but not too busy. places we've enjoyed so far on the islands are pefkos (rhodes), tsilivi (zante) altho thats probably a bit too busy for us now, svoronata (kefalonia) and recently had a lovely break at tigaki (kos). all of these beaches were ideal for us and are what we'd look for in crete.

not as important, but again we're talking ideally, would be somewhere that we could book through jet2, as we have always had good experiences with them, and not so good experiences with thomson/TC/olympic.

thanks for any advice you can give us.

Edited: 20 May 2018, 19:59
35 replies to this topic
The Stunning...
Destination Expert
for Scottish Highlands, Crete
Level Contributor
27,026 posts
398 reviews
1. Re: ideal wish-list location for october please?

Are you looking to fly in to Chania or Heraklion airport?

lincoln
Level Contributor
222 posts
40 reviews
2. Re: ideal wish-list location for october please?

id guess whichever one was closest to our destination? wouldnt that happen automatically, the tour company would ensure the flight was to the nearest airport? i know nothing about the airports other than their location, is one better to fly to than the other?

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,026 posts
398 reviews
3. Re: ideal wish-list location for october please?

Tour companies don't always arrange flights to the nearest airport so you could end up with a really long transfer. Have a look at the thread that is pinned to the top of the Crete forum for a bit more info. If flying in to Chania take a look at Peleochora on the south west coast and for an idea of the beaches https:/… and just a few snaps in general https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imUD3BpIRJo

lincoln
Level Contributor
222 posts
40 reviews
4. Re: ideal wish-list location for october please?

thanks for the beach links, just had a quick look at a couple, ill devour the rest after posting this :-) although beaches and hotels can look good in photos, i always like to hear first hand opinions of them rather than just pics. my wife will show me a pic of a hotel and exclaim "oooh look at that, isnt it lovely, we need to go there" whereas im a little more hesitant and explain that every hotel in the world can probably look a stunner with the right picture :-) its the opinions of the people that visit that matter to me. thats why i mentioned the places weve liked so far, so you can get an idea of what it is we're looking for.

ive got to say it seems a little strange to think of choosing an airport first then thinking about the resort? id have thought we should choose the resort first, and THEN look at who fly there and which airport, how long the transfer is, and if its the furthest, then forget it?

ill have a look at the pinned post too. thanks for your help :-)

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
12,420 posts
88 reviews
5. Re: ideal wish-list location for october please?

If you are looking for a package holiday, not many companies go to the south coast. The only one which springs to mind is Plakias, which is served by Olympic. Wherever you choose, make sure transfers are included; nowadays many package companies offer holidays to their properties on days which are not served by their own flights; and almost always, transfers are not included with those.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,026 posts
398 reviews
6. Re: ideal wish-list location for october please?

It might also be worth looking at hiring a car from a local company for the whole ten days rather than just four as the extra cost might not be much more than the cost of transfers. Another option is to book flights and accommodation separately which is what we always do.

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,026 posts
398 reviews
7. Re: ideal wish-list location for october please?

For an idea of Paleochora the town itself have a look at https://flic.kr/s/aHsm36N9uj although I also have a a few albums in this collection https:/…

Any questions at all just ask away :-)

lincoln
Level Contributor
222 posts
40 reviews
8. Re: ideal wish-list location for october please?

thanks chaps. this would be our third holiday of the year, so funds will be tight, we're trying to squeeze just a little more greece in :D with that in mind, we'd be looking at transfers included, plus i dont think we could stretch to 10 days car hire. the car we do hire tho will be from a recommended local company.

as for booking flights and accommodation separately, we look at this every year but can never beat the package deals. my wifes on the holiday sites nearly every day and always finds us a good deal :-) if we pay more than £300 each its been an expensive break! :-) that would be just the accommodation if booking separately so we just go for a package each time with transfers included.

have you been to any of the places i mentioned that weve liked so far and can recommend places like those, with shallow sandy beaches?

thanks again for your help

The Stunning...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,026 posts
398 reviews
9. Re: ideal wish-list location for october please?

Have a look along the north coast at Georgioupolis, Panormos and Elounda.

lincoln
Level Contributor
222 posts
40 reviews
10. Re: ideal wish-list location for october please?

thank you. ive sort of worked backwards by looking at where jet2 fly to (heraklion only so that removes half the island :-)) and then which resorts they have properties at. out of your suggestions, theres only elounda. my wife has expressed a wish to go there before, but i think we were told the beach isnt a sandy one, and its also more expensive to eat/drink than other resorts so that put us off.

firstly can you confirm whether this is true please?

and secondly, shes been told koutoulafari (also on jet2's list) is a nice quiet village that would suit us. i looked it up and it seems to be uphill rather than a beach resort and also joined onto the busy resort of hersonissos. could you give me your views on this too please?

thank you :-)

Reply to: ideal wish-list location for october please?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted