We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Athens?

Nazareth, Israel
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay in Athens?

Kalimera,

We will be visiting Athens in the summer with our girls and want to rent a place via airbnb.com (we have had good experience with them before elsewhere).

I visited Athens 20 years ago and I'm sure the city has changed a lot.

I saw some places I like but I don't know any thing about the neighborhood they are in and how important is being close to a Metro station (we want to visit the Acropolis etc).

Please let me know what you think of the following places for a stay for a family with girls:

Sozopoleos 10445

Michail Nomikou 11253

kolonaki 10676

Agiou Louka 11144

Monis Kykkou 11526 (that's my favorite apartment)

Kerasountos, Nea Smyrni 17124

Mexi Chatzigianni 11528

Kafkasou 11362

Alonion, Kifisia 14562

Leokoriou 10554 (they claim 10min walk to Acropolis)

Nirvana street 11145 (that doesn't sound like a real street name in Athens...)

Agiou Meletiou 11257

Aspasias 11634

Faethontos (no zipcode was given)

Thank you

Nazareth, Israel
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Where to stay in Athens?

Nick, you are amazing! I'm speechless.

I will look again at the apartments taking into account your (and Yiassas) comments (and the unbelievable map!).

Yiassas, we will be staying for 2 nights/ 2 full days (arriving early morning, leaving around noon 2 days later)

This is the Kolonaki apartment: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/145478

maybe the description and the comments will give you an idea about the street (people said it is 15-20 min to Syndagma by foot & it is near a restaurant called "Oikeio")

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,753 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Where to stay in Athens?

Yeap, location of the restaurant gives a very clear hint on the apartment's location. It's very near to the original pinpoint. Good area too. Making this "pinpoint" a "green" = "go" too.

I'd pick one of the three options already mentioned: Leokoriou, or Kolonaki or Xatzigianni Mexi. I find their descriptions frank and location is good for all three of them.

Leokoriou will give you easiest acess to the sites. Kolonaki and Xatzigianni Mexi will give you a very easy acess from the airport ( both are near Evangelismos subway station ) and a good acess to museums. They 'll need a short commuting to go to Plaka and the very center of the action, still locations are considered very good here.

I 'd pick any of these three.

Edited: 11 March 2013, 05:28
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,753 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Where to stay in Athens?

I have also added some key locations in the map already to help you choose :)

Cheers :)

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,267 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Where to stay in Athens?

I asked about how long as you can afford to stay a little further out if are here for a week, but with a short stay I totally agree with Nick, these are your best choices.

Note to self: Will have to ask for guidance on creating these maps, makes it so much easier than trying to explain in words! That must be quite a stock of useful maps you have done now Nick, bravo!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,753 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Where to stay in Athens?

Happy to get the knowledge across whenever you want. It's quite easy and very doable :)

Nazareth, Israel
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Where to stay in Athens?

Thanks for the update to the map!

I contacted the first apartment but have not received a reply yet.

Will an apartment on Agras st. near the old Olympic Stadium be good? It looks quite close to the sites on the map you made but far from the metro or bus to the airport.

Than again, it is the 4 of us - transportation from the airport is 7 Euros pp? including kids (12 and under)? so it might not be that big a difference to take a taxi.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,753 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Where to stay in Athens?

<I contacted the first apartment but have not received a reply yet.>

Give it some waiting time. "Greek time" is something very different that what the rest of the world follows.

---------------------------

Agras street is central too. It's a little side street aside the Panathinaikon Stadium, i think it's pedestrian, so it's a little quiet street. I havent' walked it very lately, still location in general is ok and definitely walkable to the sites. Use search button in the provided map and it will be pinppointed easily. Street is not very close to an area having restaurants and so, still you can find dining options either in Plaka nearer to Acropolis ( plenty ) or 3 - 10 minutes walking distance towards Pagrati, the area where Agras is. A really nice restaurant is 2 minutes walking distance from Agras str.

Sincerely, you have four good locations. All apartments are more or less near to dining options.

Easiest to approach on metro / bus from the airport will be Kolonaki and Xatz. Mexi. Agras will have to be a taxi, Leokoriou also is near a subway station but will need a two lines subway trip or a taxi.

If you want to acess by subway or bus, Kolonaki and Xatz. Mexi are the options. If you don't mind taking a cab, any of them are good.

----------------------------------------

Indeed, if it's 4 of you, taking a taxi is a very sensible choice + it will make things considerably easier, since you 'll get to the apartment door.

For 2 + 2 kids, costs will be:

Bus: 5 + 5 + 2.5 + 2.5 = 15 euros.

Subway: 14 + 4 + 4 = 22 euros

Taxi: 35 euros at daytime / 50 euros night time, fixed taxi tarrif on designated central area only / aia.gr/UserFiles/…153010_daktilios.pdf / read more here: www.aia.gr/pages.asp?pageid=988&langid=2

Leokorioy, Xatzigianni Mexi, Kolonaki, Agras are all IN the flat taxi fare zone. Please keep in mind that flat taxi fare includes ALL taxes and surcharges and is final price, except if you want to tip.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,753 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Where to stay in Athens?

This map includes center attractions locations: http://tinyurl.com/AthensAttractions-English

19. Re: Where to stay in Athens?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2014, 17:16