We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best suggestions for places to visit in Athen IF alone

Dunstable...
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
Best suggestions for places to visit in Athen IF alone

Hubby will be teaching for two days in the end of May while we are in Athens (four days). I will be on my own to visit where I wish. We will be staying at the King George Palace. By the time I am on my own, we will have most likely done Agora, Acropolis and Plaka. What suggestions would you have? I do enjoy history and might have to do a little shopping for the grandchildren. Thanks in advance. Yours, Claudia

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best suggestions for places to visit in Athen IF alone

Hey and welcome novakc:-) Athens has got more Museums than you can shake a stick at;-)) The New Akropolis Museum is incredible..do not miss..it also has a wonderful gift shop with wonderful children's items and also a cafe/restaurant with indoor/outdoor seating (huge outdoor space) in the shadow of the Akropolis as well! The Nat'l Archaeological Museum can easily keep you occupied for an entire day! The Benaki and Cycladic Museums are both within easy walking distance of your hotel..I personally love the Benaki's cafe/restaurant terrace where I purchase postcards from and head up and write some out over a cup of java..or wine;-) Regardless of which Museum..do check out the gift shops! I find the best items for myself as well as for gifts there..some truly unique stuff;-) Have fun..and ENjoy!

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,112 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best suggestions for places to visit in Athen IF alone

Hi,

If for some reason you tire of Athens you could take the metro to Piraeus:

http://www.piraeus.com/

I am sure you will find something of interest there.

Edited: 25 March 2012, 06:09
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
2,263 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best suggestions for places to visit in Athen IF alone

Two other interesting museums are these

The former has a nice rooftop cofee shop while the latter has free entrance

BENAKI ISLAMIC MUSEUM

www.benaki.gr/index.asp?lang=en&id=4020302

kANELLOPOULOS MUSEUM

http://www.breathtakingathens.com/node/4706

4. Re: Best suggestions for places to visit in Athen IF alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 18:40