We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tricked

bangor ni
Level Contributor
248 posts
30 reviews
Tricked

Hi all just fell for the oldest trick in the book,we're standing waiting on a bus to fungeriloa in the rain,guy pulled up in car offering a lift after 5 mins in car tells us he a taxi no sign eye but seems to have a radio and meter we thought it was just a friendly guy I realized what was going on said we would get by then we were at Castillo he wanted 37 Euro got quite aggressive all I had was 25,just feel so stupid,should have just got out and not gave him anything,would he have got the police also a another car pulled up behind us so be careful off being offered a lift

10 replies to this topic
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
124 reviews
1. Re: Tricked

To be fair i guess most people, certainly me, wouldn't get in a car with a stranger however friendly they appeared.

Atb steve

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
54 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Tricked

I totally agree with benisteve would you get in a car back home with a stranger.

In spain unless it says taxi on it then it is illegal also there are new blue number plates for taxies now showing that the car is legal and all taxis have a year to change this as and from 31/07/2018. Illegal taxis can not obtain this new number plate without an SP (servicio publico) license.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
173 reviews
3. Re: Tricked

Am sure saw a post about this ,albeit, sometime ago. Some people would not admit to being duped, but more power to you for posting. Will serve as warning to others, best put it down to 'experience.'

bangor ni
Level Contributor
248 posts
30 reviews
4. Re: Tricked

Like I said in my post you just feel so stupid,you read all the posts about scams etc and then fall for it,but I never do it again,

St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
4,479 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Tricked

What on earth are you thinking about? Costa del Sol isn't cosy rural Spain.

Lesson learned I hope.

bangor ni
Level Contributor
248 posts
30 reviews
6. Re: Tricked

Hi all I didn't post to get criticized,I know it was stupid but being coming to Spain for 30 year's and found the majority of people here friendly helpful and good,which is very like we're I live in northern Ireland,maybe not were you are but yes a lesson learnt

bangor ni
Level Contributor
248 posts
30 reviews
7. Re: Tricked

Also just making people aware

St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
4,479 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Tricked

I was thinking about your personal safety - the scam is just silly.

England
Level Contributor
7,824 posts
85 reviews
9. Re: Tricked

Not just in Spain.

Recently we returned to BHX. Rang my usual Taxi company to pick us up. Shortly after a car pulled up with their logo on the side. I went up to it and said "are you here for Mr Trickster" Yes he said.

Half way home my phone went. It was the real taxi driver asking where I was. Turned out the other one was a Rogue. When we got home he asked for £25 .The usual cost is £ 15.

We had a stand up argument on the pavement . In the end I thrust £15 at him and told him to **** off.

I noted his number and rang the taxi co and they said he wasn't one of there's

Edited: 17 October 2018, 23:23
dublin
Level Contributor
92 posts
94 reviews
10. Re: Tricked

Fair play for posting. These scams catch us off guard and it's all about the confidence of the scanner. You seen the meter and radio and assumed all was ok, chances are that this scumbag does this on a regular basis. Hopefully more people will read your post, if it happens to them, they will send him/them off empty handed.

Edited: 23 October 2018, 03:45
Reply to: Tricked
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about La Cala de Mijas
Recent Conversations