We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Porto to Lisbon

Prescott AZ
Level Contributor
253 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Train from Porto to Lisbon

Leaving from GrandePortoHotel on Rua Sta. Caterina on May 4, going to a hotel at Fontana Park in Sandanha District, Lisbon. Need guidance on closest train station in Porto and station nearest Fontana Park where I can take a taxi to the hotel. I see there are many choices for train service. Prefer fastest service for arrival in Lisbon by 1pm. Must I buy ticket ahead of time, and where?

8 replies to this topic
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
24,980 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from Porto to Lisbon

Where to buy tickets, you can do it online at www.cp.pt it has an english page. You can buy it the day before at the train station (in your case S. Bento train station)

Timetable of trains https:/…lisbon-north-south-trains.pdf

Need guidance on closest train station in Porto - the nearest is Porto-S. Bento, take any train to Porto-Campanhã from where depart all the train to Lisbon.

In Lisbon exit at Lisboa-Oriente and take a taxi to the Hotel, for a fast journey. Fontana Park is at Picoas so you can take the metro at Oriente (red line) and with a change at Saldanha (yellow line) exit at Picoas and you'll be very close to the hotel. metrolisboa.pt/eng/wp-content/uploads/2012/0…

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon, Samana Province, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,251 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from Porto to Lisbon

Ditto #1.

Prescott AZ
Level Contributor
253 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from Porto to Lisbon

Thank you, ptNov64. Please bear with me. I know, I could simply seek help from the tour guide when we're in Porto, but I always prefer to buy my tickets ahead of time whenever possible.

Received info from the hotel at Fontana Park, the tour group in the US, and now Trip Advisor, all different and even conflicting...more accurately T.M.I. Even the info about going from Rua Sta.Caterina to Sao Bento to Campanha was different. I don't mind taking a taxi if I know where I'm headed, preferably with as few transfers as possible.

Altho' I like the direct IC departure & arrival, I was trying to avoid the P.Campanha-to-Oriente route because that would require some type of transfer -- taxi or the Metro-- to Fontana Park. I've often and easily navigated the daunting NYC subway system. But, being unfamiliar with the Porto Metro system, buying tickets, finding my way around, I was trying to avoid changes to Metro.

At first, the hotel at Fontana Park said to take the train from Campanha to Entrecampasos, which is closer to them than Oriente and costs less by taxi. But, which train? I see on the Lisbon North/South schedule that the IC Direct (#620) does not stop there. In that case, as you did, the hotel later recommended taking the Metro from Oriente to Saldanha Metro, just 5 min. from hotel...or a taxi, of course. Bottom line, my most expedient choice seems to be: Campanha to Oriente and then a taxi?

Re: buying tickets, I understand about needing a reservation. This will be my first experience with Portugal rail system. Are there any other requirements besides cost of the ticket? How much time should I allow to arrive at the station? Must they be validated before boarding, as required in Italy? Anything else?

Level Contributor
212 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from Porto to Lisbon

I traveled in the opposite direction. If your schedule is fixed, buy your tickets on the official site (above) before your trip. You will be asked to register and they will send you electronic ticket (no validation needed). I had it printed (just in case), but nobody asked for it. They will check your passport (ID) anyway and you are in the system. The procedure should be the same for all the trains. Boarding the train was fast, no need to arrive early (10 mins).You will not have any problem finding your way around in Portugal. Porto metro system is very simple, buying tickets and transfers easy. I stayed near Rua Catarina (near Bolhao metro stop), but walked to/from Campanha station. You are near the Bolhao stop as well (3 stops to the train station). Metro connection in Lisbon as described in #1 is very easy too.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
56,799 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from Porto to Lisbon

" Bottom line, my most expedient choice seems to be: Campanha to Oriente and then a taxi?"

I stay in the Saldanha area and either use the metro (subway) between there and Oriente or walk to or from Entrecampos. I am too mean to pay €10 or more for taxi to Oriente when the metro is less than €2, but a taxi is a little quicker. Coming from Porto, you can take any local train at no extra cost between Oriente and Entrecampos. These run every few minutes and are not metro. It is about a mile from Entrecampos station exit to that hotel, the Saldanha metro station about 300 yards.

Edited: 13 March 2018, 05:40
Prescott AZ
Level Contributor
253 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from Porto to Lisbon

Thank you (again) cubsur. As usual, your first-hand information is very useful. I was not aware of the no-charge service between Oriente and Entrecampo after coming from Porto. How does that work? Do I need to present my IC ticket? Regarding the taxi, I used to be like you and always chose walking or public transportation in major cities. But, at 70+ I now splurge on taxis. However, thanks for your candor.

Hello, pedrodechicago. I made note of your info about Bolhao Metro stop. I am sure much of the logistics will seem clearer when I am In Porto, hopefully with some help from our tour guide. But, as I wrote, they have not been very helpful with this train issue. My schedule for Porto-to-Lisbon at the end of the tour is pretty set, and I was only trying to get enough info to buy my ticket before leaving the US, as I've done in Italy and Spain. Thank you!

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
24,980 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from Porto to Lisbon

My good what a mess... forget Entrecampos train station to go to Fontana hotel. Who ever said that was just looking at Google maps.

First, from your hotel at Porto you can WALK to S. Bento train station it's always downhill https://goo.gl/maps/wZviMNkcDMs at this train station all trains go and stop at Porto-Campanhã, your ticket to Lisbon is valid to take any of these trains. Once at Campanhã go down to the tunnel and walk to the platform from where the train to Lisbon will depart.

In Lisbon exit at Lisboa-Oriente only if you are in one of the 2 only trains that don't stop at Lisboa-Santa Apolónia (the 05h27 and 15h47 trains) then take a taxi to Fontana hotel. Make it simple for you.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
56,799 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from Porto to Lisbon

Just to say regarding "Do I need to present my IC ticket?"

In the unlikely event of a ticket inspection during the 8 minutes between Oriente and Entrecampos, yes.

But as said, Entrecampos is a mile or more from your hotel so the advice given to go to Entrecampos was not really that good!

Tickets purchased on line from trips between Lisbon and Porto, either direction, are valid on connecting services to other stations within the cities. Similar arrangements apply in a couple of other places. This information is set out in detail at https://www.cp.pt/passageiros/en/buy-tickets

Reply to: Train from Porto to Lisbon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted