We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Odd Trindade metro extit question

East Midlands...
Level Contributor
380 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Odd Trindade metro extit question

Will be coming to porto soon for 5 days staying at Dom henrique and will be on the metro to Triadade I have been looking at google satalite and there seems to be an exit/entrance to a side street on top of the station -looks like a lift or something with a little bridge and looks like a really quick back-way to the hotel but there is no google street view to confirm this.

Any ideas please

23 replies to this topic
Aveiro, Portugal
Level Contributor
399 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Odd Trindade metro extit question

I was confused the first time I exited that Metro station looking for the street to Dom Henrique. The problem arises in part because Google Map doesn't give you any idea of topography.

What you need to do is this: As you walk out of the exit, look for a narrow street which goes up a hillside. There is a green cross pharmacy symbol on that street and in clear view of the Metro station (the shop is Pharmacy Antunes). Walk up that street (Rua GueBonjardim). Go past Restaurante Antunes on your left. Then turn right, go a block further, and the hotel will be on your right. If you have your phone with you you can follow the route.

I'm not aware of a route involving a lift and a little bridge. If you find it please do let me know.

By the way, Restaurante Antunes is a gem; it's been there for about 70 years.

East Midlands...
Level Contributor
380 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Odd Trindade metro extit question

Thank you for the quick responce - here is what i am seeing https://tinyurl.com/y8y5tb2v

I can also see your route and the restaurant on this view also but if you look at the top of the station on the right on the grass there is a square building that has a bridge over to Tv de Alfreres Malherio here is another view https://tinyurl.com/y79c4bft Maybe its just some sort of service access

Edited: 06 March 2018, 09:01
Aveiro, Portugal
Level Contributor
399 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Odd Trindade metro extit question

I see what you're referring to, however I don't know exactly what it is. I spent a few nights at the hotel, and went to and from the Metro station many times. I didn't find any better route, although I can't exclude the possibility that it exists.

The first time I arrived at Trindade Metro station from the Porto Airport I could not orient myself using Google Maps. I asked directions in my limited Portuguese of a small group of elderly men. They appeared to be locals very familiar with the area. I understood enough of their discussions among themselves to gather that their collective view was that this was THE way to get up the hill to the hotel.

Enjoy your stay in Porto!

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
489 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Odd Trindade metro extit question

It is a lift or stairs. You can take that lift if you want to or do as david says

East Midlands...
Level Contributor
380 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Odd Trindade metro extit question

Yes it does look like a lift or stairs but maybe its a fire escape route with no public access over that little bridge.

@DavidF your directions are good and from street view I can see the pharmacy and the route past the restaurant - that also looks like a good visit.

When I am there I will have a walk around to that bridge and check it out and report back

Aveiro, Portugal
Level Contributor
399 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Odd Trindade metro extit question

Please do let me know what you find on the ground.

By the way, a specialty of the city of Porto is tripe. Antunes, in common with many other restaurants in the city, does it on Wednesday, and their is especially good.

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
196 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Odd Trindade metro extit question

There is (or at least used to be) an entrance on Travessa de Alferes Malheiro. I haven't used it in a couple of years but I believe it should still be open. Just ask any Metro employee or check the signs for Tv. Alferes Malheiro

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
489 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Odd Trindade metro extit question

It isn't a fire escape. It's just a normal exit but it's done using a lift because that area is very steep.

East Midlands...
Level Contributor
380 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Odd Trindade metro extit question

Ok I will have a try to find it in the station when I arrive from the airport will i be on the correct side of the platform to get to that lift.

If it turns out it is just a lift up to the grass with no access to Travessa de Alferes Malheiro I will be in so much trouble with my travelling companions - I have got myself in trouble like that before ---- "follow me its this way"

I have looked for pictures or a map layout of the station to help me but can not find one.

East Midlands...
Level Contributor
380 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Odd Trindade metro extit question

"By the way, a specialty of the city of Porto is tripe. Antunes, in common with many other restaurants in the city, does it on Wednesday, and their is especially good."

Yes I am looking forward to trying tripe but like you have said about them doing it on wednesday I am finding that places only seem to serve it on a certain day

Reply to: Odd Trindade metro extit question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted