We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car companies at the airport

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Rental car companies at the airport

I have priced a rental car for a week in April. Thrifty is by far the cheapest but it says they are "off site" and requires a shuttle. Then when I clicked on the "more information" it said you have to call to get them to come get you- we won't have an international phone etc.

My question is - is it easy to navigate to Thrifty from the airport? Or should I go with Hertz who advertises having the cars at the airport?

98 replies to this topic
Toronto, ONT
Level Contributor
770 posts
77 reviews
142 helpful votes
1. Re: Rental car companies at the airport

Your info is correct; you'll need to call for pick up. Avis, Hertz, Budget, Europcar, Sixt & Guerin are on site. For alternative quotes you can try broker http://portugal-auto-rentals.com/ ; their quotes show rental provider companies

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Rental car companies at the airport

Personally, I always use Sixt in Europe. I have never had any problem with them. If you are picking up at the Lisbon Airport, be aware that the cars are kept in a covered area which is quite dark. It is pretty well impossible to see tiny scratches on the cars that may not be noted on the rental agreement. I suggest a high powered flashlight to inspect the car that you have rented to make sure all the dents etc have been fully noted. Be especially on the lookout for bumper scratches and scratched hubcaps.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon, Samana Province, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,288 posts
252 reviews
249 helpful votes
3. Re: Rental car companies at the airport

This is the update list of the Rental car companies at the Lisbon International Airport:

AA Castanheira/ Budget (+351) 219 942 402

Europcar/ National/ Alamo/ Europcar SA (+351) 218 401 176

Guerin / Guérin Lda. (+351) 218 486 191

Auto Jardim/ Auto Jardim SA (+351) 218 462 916

Hertz/ HR, SA (+351) 218 438 660

Sixt/ Auro Rent Lda. (+351) 218 470 661

AVIS/ Sovial Lda. (+351) 218 435 550

And travels1940 is right about the parking area, check and double check the external condition of the car.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
48 posts
4. Re: Rental car companies at the airport

Thanks so much. Great advice, I wouldn't have spent too much time looking at the car, I will now! I guess I'll go with a company on site, seems worth the increased price.

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
87 posts
78 reviews
60 helpful votes
5. Re: Rental car companies at the airport

I agree with you, it is not easy to discover everything in that parking building. We rented through Budgetcars a car with several scratches, which I got noted on the form they used.. Upon delivery they found a bump under one of the doors which was not marked on the form, and which I certainly had not caused. Fortunately I had taken the extra insurance. But the situation was not pleasant, as they did not believe me. I would not rent a car from Budgetcars, Lisbon, again.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
6. Re: Rental car companies at the airport

We had an almost identical experience as "nojo" but with Guerin. Almost sounds like the same car :) The agent marked scratches all over the car when we rented it. When we returned it, there was a dent under the driver's door we never would have noticed. The included accident insurance had a deductible (fine print), but our credit card did cover it.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
449 posts
33 reviews
106 helpful votes
7. Re: Rental car companies at the airport

I rented through the Alamo US website, which is really Europcar but on-site, and I would say the experience was as stress-free and up-front as can be expected anywhere. I got a brand-new Renault diesel model and it was perfect for our family of four and luggage.

I did have to reacquaint myself with a stick shift, and the only surprise was the number of tolls to be paid in Portugal, and of course all the Audi drivers who found it fun to tailgate and zoom.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
66 posts
53 reviews
48 helpful votes
8. Re: Rental car companies at the airport

Hiya

I'm a big fan of a small Portuguese car rental company called Amoita (www.amoita.com). Their customer service is great and I've found their pricing comparable to others. One thing I like about Amoita is that for no extra charge they'll deliver a car to your hotel if that is more convenient to you. They've also been great at giving me directions to the nearest highway.

So if you'd rather stay away from the big guys I'd highly recommend them.

Gwen McCauley

Sparkill, New York
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
13 helpful votes
9. Re: Rental car companies at the airport

We're just back from Lisbon and I can second Gwen's opinion about Amoita. They had great prices and it was definitely the best rental service I've ever had. We had rented an apartment in Central Lisbon, they delivered the car on time as promised. It was a Skoda compact diesel "estate" (station) wagon. While I was a bit nervous about a Czech built car from a smaller rental company, it turned out to be just fine. It got about 15 kilometers per liter (over 40 mpg). And when we picked it up and asked about return we were told they'd meet us at the departure platform at the airport. When we arrived at 8:15 am on our departure day their courteous rep was there and waiting, we unloaded our luggage and he drove the car away! Doesn't get any better than that. http://www.amoita.com/, they also have locations in Faro and Porto.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2 posts
49 reviews
18 helpful votes
10. Re: Rental car companies at the airport

We just got back from Portugal after 10 days and we hired from Guerin (collecting and returning at Faro airport. I was impressed with them. The cars were all newish and clean, they were efficient in booking us out and in out. The car was full of fuel and we took it back full and we were not charged for any fuel by them. The only thing I would warn others about is that (like most car hire companies now) there is a 1000 Euro insurance excess. This means that if the vehicle suffers any damage (stone chips scratches, stone chips to windows etc) you will have to pay the first 1000 euros. They wil offer to sell you insurance excess but their policy is very dear.

Google 'car hire excess' BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE UK. we managed to get cover for £2 per day ... it is well worth the peace of mind, though we did not have to use it.

Reply to: Rental car companies at the airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted