We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabs in Lisbon

Marietta, GA
Level Contributor
36 posts
24 reviews
Cabs in Lisbon

Just spent 4 days in Lisbon and highly recommend using the cabs. The are inexpensive, virtually all are new and easily identified as they are black on the bottom and lime green on the top. Even better, they are everywhere. Suggest not driving in Lisbon as the many hills, buses, trolleys and cabs make it quite congested. Also, fasten your seatbelt as traffic moves ui kku in Lisbon.

Best Seller
Sintra and Cascais Small-Group Day...
1,238 Reviews
from USD 87.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Fátima, Nazaré, and Óbidos...
774 Reviews
from USD 87.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Lisbon Small-Group Gourmet Portuguese...
486 Reviews
from USD 52.60*
18 replies to this topic
Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
5,021 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: Cabs in Lisbon

Lovely recommendation. Especially "all are new". Do they accept credit cards? Do they speak English? Do they rip off tourists? Do they strike/protest for few days pissing off tourists?

Edited: 24 September 2018, 06:03
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
31 reviews
2. Re: Cabs in Lisbon

They are great when they are not on strike. As of today they have been protesting for 5 days. Meanwhile uber is picking up the slack. I found portuguese taxi drivers are mostly ok. However 99% do not accepr credit card payment,so be prepared to pay cash.

Edited: 24 September 2018, 06:57
Marietta, GA
Level Contributor
36 posts
24 reviews
3. Re: Cabs in Lisbon

No credit cards accepted. No strikes while were there. Heard of no problems nor did we experience any. All cabs have meters so you can easily see the fare. They made our getting around very easy and cheap.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
139 posts
4. Re: Cabs in Lisbon

I liivein Lisbon and, i say, go UBER! Sory to say but, i don't agre with JohnC44. I allways had a better experience with UBER and, sense they exist in Portugal, i quick taxis

5. Re: Cabs in Lisbon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 September 2018, 23:06
Edited: 27 September 2018, 23:06

Marietta, GA
Level Contributor
36 posts
24 reviews
6. Re: Cabs in Lisbon

One can only comment on one’s experience. In 4 days, we took at least 8-10 cab rides and each was just fine. No strike underway while we were there. You get ripped off when you are not carful. Uber is great. We found the cabs to be just fine.

Portalegre, Portugal
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
103 reviews
7. Re: Cabs in Lisbon

"As you see John spent in Lisbon only 4 days, so his recommendation is not trustworthy."

Where is it written that a person needs to spend a certain amount of time before they can provide feedback for other travellers?

I let your sarcastic and pointless initial comment on this thread pass, although you DELIBERATELY misquoted the OP in order to ridicule his statements - he said "VIRTUALLY all are new" (capitals are mine), NOT that they were all new.

He came to Lisbon, he used cabs, he was very satisfied with their performance, both in terms of availability ("they are everywhere"), and cost ("They made our getting around very easy and cheap") - this is valid feedback for future visitors.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
2,779 posts
16 reviews
8. Re: Cabs in Lisbon

I have lived here for nearly eight years and use cabs daily. Of course they are not perfect but I agree with the general thrust of what my namesake says. The very best way for a visitor to see Lisbon is on foot but to get to anywhere a bit out from the centre, like the Tile Museum or Belem or to get back to your hotel at the end of the day and to get to and from the airport a cab is an excellent choice.

I am just back from a week end in Paris where the minimum cab fare is seven euro odd, the equivalent figure in Lisbon is two euro odd. It was thirty seven euro from our hotel to Orly airport, in Lisbon the usual fare to the airport is around fifteen euro.

I do disagree about cabs being new. Many, possibly most, of the cabs I use have seen better days and on the relatively few occasions that I have used Uber the car has always been noticeably smarter. I suspect that is connected to the prices (which are so low I really don't know how the drivers make a living). If four people crowd into a cab here they will actually make short journeys cheaper than the remarkably low price for public transport. How to replace an aging vehicle must be quite a problem.

Marietta, GA
Level Contributor
36 posts
24 reviews
9. Re: Cabs in Lisbon

Well said. Cabs are a great option. Not the only option.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
184 posts
188 reviews
10. Re: Cabs in Lisbon

very interesting conversations. we are headed to Lisboa in mid november. there will be six of us. can someone please give me the approx cost of one taxi from alfama to belem? and are the cabs in belem readily available?

I'm Trying to determine if I need to bu 6 ( or 7) viva viagem cards. we will be in Lisboa for 4 nites and have a "tour" booked for sintra with train tickets included.

thanks

Reply to: Cabs in Lisbon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted