We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting April 10th

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
429 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting April 10th

We have visited Porto many times and are arrivign there again but would like to visit Coimbra this time and would like to know how easy is it to get to Coimbra fromm Figueras da Foz. Will the weather be nice at this time of year at Figueras or would we be better to base ourselves in Coimbra. Any suggestions for accomodation. Is there anywhere else inland that we can get to by train that would be worth a day trip. We have been to Guimares and Lisbon before. We do not mind travelling by bus or train.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
56,892 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting April 10th

I visited Coimbra in late October 2008 and took a trip by train from there to Figueira da Foz. It was fairly cold, wet and horrible much of the time but in April it should be less unpleasant. That part of the world can still be windy and rainy however in April.

Figeuira da Foz is a nice enough place, but very quiet out of season and I suspect Coimbra would be more interesting as a base as there is plenty there of interest..

There's a reasonable train service between Coimbra and Figueira da Foz shown here

cp.pt/StaticFiles/Imagens/PDF/Passageiros/ho…

The journey takes just over an hour and costs about 2,20 Euros one-way.

The station in the centre of Coimbra is called Coimbra; Coimbra B is a mile or so out of town and is the junction with the main Porto - Lisbon line.

From Coimbra you can easily get to the pleasant city of Aveiro also in about an hour. That one costs 5,80 Euros one-way using the Urban and Regional trains, around 11 Euros using the faster Inter-city or AP trains.

cp.pt/StaticFiles/…coimbra_porto_coimbra.pdf

Unfortunately the scenic line from Coimbra to Serpins is closed for reconstruction work and replaced by buses. I had a pleasant ride out there also.

On another trip I also took the narrow gauge train from Aveiro out into the hills into Sernado do Vouga. it's the last remaining NG train operated in Portugal in regular passenger traffic.

cp.pt/StaticFiles/…aveiro_espinho.pdf

If you are a transport buff, Coimbra has the last working trolleybuses in Portugal. it is rather hilly, so take a good pair of shoes!

I hope that helps get you started.

2. Re: Visiting April 10th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2010, 17:16
Get answers to your questions about Figueira da Foz