We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Figueira in June

Moscow, Russia
4 posts
Save Topic
Figueira in June

Hello!

I've just arrived in Figueira da Foz for a vacation at the seaside, but the weather seems really unwelcoming. :( I've gone to the beach to check the water and it is freezing cold! I've been told, that the swimming season starts in June, but I guess that was wrong... Would you recommend I move some other place or is it going to get better here? I'm on vacation for a month and still not sure whether I should stay or not. I have so much luggage, jeez! XD Also I would very much appreciate it if you could advise me a local taxi app, as calling would eat up much of my budget, lol. :) Another question - I heard that there's going to be a sardines festival in June. Where is it held and what are the dates?

Thank you, all! Any tips are much appreciated!

10 replies to this topic
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
25,016 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Figueira in June

The Atlantic ocean is cold and Portugal is a country that has only the Atlantic, not the Mediterranean sea. So it will be cold everywhere, maybe a bit less in the Algarve but not that much.

Yes, the official season started on June1st, this means that lifeguards are on duty and the beach paraphernalia for rent exists...

Local taxi app for Figueira da Foz? I doubt that it exists... If your mobile phone is unlocked get a local sim card with a package for phone and net, if it's not buy a phone that costs 20€ and load some money.

The popular saints are June 12/13 (St. Anthony) and June 23/24 (S. John) and June 28/29 (St Peter) no idea which one is celebrated in Figueira.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon, Samana Province, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,251 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Figueira in June

For a little bit warm water just in the Algarve. All Portugal is bath by the Atlantic Ocean.

Official Season starts on June 1st, yes... but not the summer...

No local taxi app in Figueira that i know... get yourself a Portuguese SIM card...

Regarding the local celebrations, all the info you need is here: cm-figfoz.pt/index.php/destaques/2175-figuei…

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
56,875 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Figueira in June

Taxi app? Where do you want to go in taxi from there? Trains and buses are available at much less cost.

I have to admit I went to Figueira da Foz once. It rained hard all day! Nice place though.

It's 32ºC down here in the Algarve (500km away) but it is still cold in the sea, it hasn't warmed up just yet.

I thought you Russians would break ice to swim in rivers :-)

Portugal
Level Contributor
4,758 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Figueira in June

If you wanted a warmer temperature, you should have chosen the eastern part of the Algarve region. Near Monte Gordo or Tavira, for example, from July the water of the sea has a very pleasant temperature, sometimes almost like Med!. But in June even the water of the Mediterranean is quite cold! Personally, I do not like the climate of the north coast of Portugal, including Figueira da Foz where there are fogs and the weather is very uncertain. On the western coast of the country the best beaches are in Peniche (south of the town) and the beaches of Sesimbra. They are more sheltered from the cold north winds and because of this reason they have quieter, more transparent and better temperature waters...

Edited: 09 June 2017, 02:29
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
25,016 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Figueira in June

According to IPMA the sea surface temperatures are 15ºC in Figueira da Foz, 15,5ºC in Peniche área, 17,5ºC in Sesimbra, 20ºC in Eastern Algarve.

The Med around Antalya is 24ºC and 22ºC around Ibiza.

Portugal
Level Contributor
4,758 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Figueira in June

"The Med around Antalya is 24ºC and 22ºC around Ibiza." Yes, but it's not always like this! I've been to the Mediterranean many times before summer and sometimes it's freezing. Once, in the Balearics, during Easter, the temperature was as cold as I have ever felt it in Portugal!! I did not say that in Peniche or Sesimbra the temperature is at THIS MOMENT warmer than in Figueira! However, from now on and even by the absence of the northern winds, the days are usually much more pleasant in those places than in Figueira! Anyway, it is my personal opinion from personal experiences! The comparison of water temperatures TODAY has nothing to do with what I meant to express!

Edited: 09 June 2017, 03:09
Portugal
Level Contributor
4,758 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Figueira in June

@fokca

Take a look at the map and see what I mean between the huge difference between the water temperature between the south coast (Algarve) and the west coast of Northern Portugal.

https://www.ipma.pt/en/maritima/sst/

And, I insist, the beaches of Consolação in Peniche and the beaches of Sesimbra are much more pleasant than Figueira. For many reasons.

Of course, on the Mediterranean Coast of Africa or in Turkey (where many Russians go..) the water is much warmer at the present time...

Moscow, Russia
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Figueira in June

Thanks for all the info, guys, you were very helpful! I guess there is not much point in leaving Figueira, as the weather is actually really nice. I'll have to summon my Russian ancestry and break through the cold of the ocean as my suit isn't of much help. :) I also wanted to mention that I chose namely this place, because it is one of the few where I 100% won't meet any of my compatriots! XD

Moscow, Russia
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Figueira in June

Since I'm already here, do you guys know a public swimming pool in the area? I'm really not looking forward to swimming in the ocean while not surfing.

10. Re: Figueira in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2017, 18:06

Reply to: Figueira in June
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Figueira da Foz