We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week trip - public transport advice please

Which Ponta Delgada hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
1 week trip - public transport advice please

We are a couple in our 40's, staying in Ponta Delgada 22nd to 29th June. We love the 'great outdoors' (though we are not very fit!), history, photography, music and eating. We hope to go whale watching and book a trip with a driver. We would appreciate your advice on:

a) Exploring the island by public transport - what is possible?

b) Restuarants with good vegetarian choices - one carnivore, one gluten intolerant vegetarian.

c) Quirky, small, 'different' things to enjoy and explore

We look forward to hearing from you,

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
10,904 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 week trip - public transport advice please

Public transport is generally slow and infrequent designed for locals rather than tourists. I hired a driver for my trip, Lisa & Gary - excellent guides.

My trip report will hopefully give you lots of ideas and information:-

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189134-i1760-k4…

Enjoy!

London
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 week trip - public transport advice please

Hello,

Thank you for your reply - I did enjoy your trip report and we will certainly look to hire a driver for 1/2 to 1 day.

But... what I would really like to know is where CAN we travel to on a bus?

We were told getting around from Ortigia in Sicily would be impossible without a car, but it was fine. We are happy to get up early & go with the locals!

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,904 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 week trip - public transport advice please

This is the website for the local buses:-

http://www.smigueltransportes.com/

Not sure if the website is working, may have better luck.

If you purchase the guidebook “Azores car tours and walks” by Andreas Stieglitz (sunflower landscapes) there is a bus timetable at the back. Not sure if the timetable is up to date but it may give a you some idea of the frequency.

Hope this helps a little.

London
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 week trip - public transport advice please

Thank you

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,904 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 week trip - public transport advice please

Your welcome, have a great stay!

Sao Miguel, Portugal
Level Contributor
230 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 week trip - public transport advice please

If you are looking for a good vegetarian restarante, I would recomend "Rotas" in Ponta Delgada city, one of the most recomended restaurantes in that section on Tripadvisor on the Azores!

The Carnivore restarantes in Ponta Delgada is "Alcides" & "Bar Aliança", out of Ponta Delgada close to Ribeira Grande City "Associação Agricola" and even "Alabote" does a good Beef.

"Delicias do Mar" & "Mariserra" excelente fish.

I recomend to taste "Beef á Regional/Micalense" the tradicional local beef!

The Public transportation does not bring you to some major nature atractions, probaly only to Furnas can be a good option, the rest, it is better to hire someone fro exemple Nordeste, or go by táxi to the main places and then hike from there.

Have a Bath in the diferente termal pools on the Island can be a good things to do here during your stay here, or bath in the Atlantic Ocean now in June!

Hiking, horse riding, Botanical Gardens, museums, churches, local festivities or religous festivities, depending in the time you are, in the weekends, "Gruta do Carvão" Volcanic cave and more....

Bye! I wish you a nice and remeberable vacation on the Azores!

Gary Travassos

London
Level Contributor
24 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 week trip - public transport advice please

Thank you so much for your helpful suggestions!

GLASGOW
Level Contributor
6 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 week trip - public transport advice please

We are going to Ponta Delgada last two weeks in September, we plan to do two tours with coach and guide, one each week. Is it worth going anywhere with public transport and what is it like to do some of the other islands?

9. Re: 1 week trip - public transport advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2014, 14:16
Get answers to your questions about Ponta Delgada