We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel help - stay in one place or split between two?

Chicago
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel help - stay in one place or split between two?

We are planning a trip for early October. We are looking at the Azul Hotel and the Furnas Boutique Hotel. What are your thoughts on splitting our time between the two for slightly different geographic experiences or is that silly and we should stick with one? Just not sure if one location is superior over the other.

8 replies to this topic
Pa.
Level Contributor
6,036 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel help - stay in one place or split between two?

I would never split for a week stay on that island, but we stayed center island so the driving was easy and pretty quick in any direction. I would not choose Furnas as a home base though, so if you are staying there, you might want to consider splitting if you are the exploring type. We were out and about from morning until evening every day, but if you are just going to chill at the resort, no reason to change. It's a lovely area.

3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel help - stay in one place or split between two?

Hi,

We are on the island now and looked at the furnace hotel. By the time we booked or wasn't available so opted for the Acorsonho hotel / apartments in Capelas.

We are loving it here as its simply a base. The apartments have 1 and 2 bedrooms and we opted for the 2 bedroom (211) and would return in a heart beat, which for someone who lives in hotels every week and paid for this holiday by loyalty points hopefully says something. Don't get me wrong, it's no 5 star, but the room is really clean, beds are huge and really comfy and being end of the rooms, the sunrise can be watched from my son's bedroom.

The roads are really easy to get around, with us covering the entire north road from Capelas yesterday around to the light house at Nordeste, continuing to Furnas, soaking in a hot spring after the walk to the car from the lighthouse!!!! Then to Ponta Delgada for a bite to eat and back to our hotel room in Capelas for 9pm.

Splitting would just mean wasting a day in my opinion, when you'd be best spending it on the island travelling. You will love this place, believe me, it's beauty is simply infectuous.

Happy to answer questions of you have any.

Steve

Edited: 12 August 2018, 16:40
Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
114 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel help - stay in one place or split between two?

Just to give another opinion. I like the idea of splitting to get a varied experience. I’m doing that at the end of August. Also, if you are reserving a little late, it gives you more options for availability at the place you want to stay. To me it all depends on the amount of luggage you have. If you are traveling with a lot of things, then it would be a hassle to pack it all up and move. But if you are a minimalist like me with very little luggage, then it’s fun and easy to mix it up and stay two places. Enjoy!

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
21 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel help - stay in one place or split between two?

Hello.

How long are you staying for? If you are only staying for a week I would take one only and then hire a car so that discovering the island will not be an issue.

Hope this helps. Please do drop me a line if you have any further questions.

Regards.

Ali

K S
Milford, Connecticut
Level Contributor
116 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel help - stay in one place or split between two?

We stayed 2 locations on Sao Miguel (although it was beginning and end of our vaca with other islands in between) and really enjoyed switching up the location a bit. We got to explore 2 homebases with different things walkable to each. Yes the island is easily driven with one homebase and if you pack heavily or really hate moving around once settled, definitely do one. You don't say how long you are staying.

Chicago
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel help - stay in one place or split between two?

Thanks for your input! We are staying five nights - which is why I think it may not be worth switching hotels.

Chicago
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel help - stay in one place or split between two?

We had the same question when we were deciding between Ponta Delgada and Furnas. Ultimately, people recommended we stay in Ponta Delgada for each of access for tours, restaurants, etc. and that Furnas was a day trip (or two if you really loved it!) It is only 30-40 minutes drive from PDL.

Enjoy!

Malmö
Level Contributor
534 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel help - stay in one place or split between two?

I think the only part where it makes sense to split is the east tip of the island from Nordeste to Povocao. Roads are really winding up and down here and basically the entire southeast.

Nordeste to Ponta Delga is only 45 minutes along the northern route, but almost 2 hours following the east and southern coast.

Reply to: Hotel help - stay in one place or split between two?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted