We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

old town or new town?

england
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Topic
old town or new town?

Hi, We have booked flights for a 4 night stay over easter. Never been to the Algarve before. Looking for a budget apartment near to bars and restaurants. Reading all of the reviews on here I cant make my mind up as to choose near the strip or near the old town. Any advice please. Thankyou

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
Level Contributor
756 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: old town or new town?

Old town is a more authentic/ traditional algarve,new town is more like blackpool in the sun it all depends what you like in a holiday tbf

Edited: 10 February 2016, 09:06
west midlands
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
Level Contributor
2,411 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: old town or new town?

I would stay in between the two if it's your first trip and visit both, the strip is more for the younger crowd

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
56,821 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: old town or new town?

You are leaving it late to book anywhere for Easter!

Thew new town end is a tourist only zone, almost all British oriented. Pubs, clubs, bars and eateries for the holidaymakers. The old town end is less in your face but still very touristy in parts.

Anyway, the two areas are only 1.5 miles apart, a 25 minutes walk or 5 Euros taxi ride.

england
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: old town or new town?

Thanks for the replys. Yeah I must get booked soon ! Any suggestions on budget apartments?

Kildare
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: old town or new town?

How many in your group Jordan1992, are you travelling as family, couple or group of friends? A rough age would be handy too, then we can suggest places that might suit. Vilanova on the strip is cheap and cheerful for young and lively groups and couples but would not recommend for a family. As Cubsur says a lot of the more popular places will already be booked out for Easter.

Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
7,300 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: old town or new town?

Have sent you list of Hotels ... all in or very near the town. .... come back here when you see something. Click against your name top of this page. In my experience, Albufeira is around 60% occupied at Easter ... lots of Spanish come to for Pascoa .. so, yes, the best accomodations may be in short supply.

Edited: 10 February 2016, 20:54
7. Re: old town or new town?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2017, 17:16
Get answers to your questions about Albufeira