We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old Town Square

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
10 reviews
Old Town Square

just returned from another brilliant week in Albufeira, again staying in the old town. Something struck us though, when we last stayed over the strip side, about 2009 we'd noticed more stag and hen groups than we'd ever seen. Fast forward a few years, and it's over run with them. Well this year, whilst around the old town square, we started to notice a similar thing. I've seen the odd group in the past, but this year, there were more groups. Than I've ever seen before. Now I'm no prude, and used to love the strip myself, however since having a family, the strip is ok for a quick visit, but no place for families, with all the stag and hens about. Hence why we love the old town. However couldn't help seeing a similar pattern emerging, as what we started to see all those years ago with the strip. Really hope all the groups, don't over run the old town too, fine visit, but that's what the strip is catered for. Really hope they don't allow the same thing to happen to the old town. Has anybody else noticed this?

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
383 posts
61 reviews
1. Re: Old Town Square

We are staying at present and have noticed a lot less people in the square at night. I believe all inclusive hotels are hitting the bars & restaurants now. We haven't seen any stags/hens in old town yet and only a few on the strip but it is school holidays so more expensive for them.

Kildare
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
88 reviews
2. Re: Old Town Square

I noticed a lot more stags and hens in the Old Town this year too when I was over in March, April and twice in May. I put it down to favourable £/€ exchange rate with very good value trips for large groups. The strip was always cheaper for accomodation but the Old Town is now competing. I think high season will be too expensive for Stags and Hens and by the time the season starts to wind down the rates may have changed.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
57,359 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: Old Town Square

Agreed - those groups we have met have come over because it is now relatively cheap with the current exchange rate. The bar owners etc are pleased as they can make good money in an otherwise quiet time. I didn't come across or hear of any groups getting out of hand, they know the poilce here carry guns, batons and pepper spray.

Another year the groups might go to Latvia etc. In high season it is far too expensive here for a long weekend.

All inclusives and cheap drinks from LIDL are definitely affecting bar trade and so, IMHO, are those now very loud and increasingly discordant pan pipers in the old town square.

Edited: 28 May 2015, 20:37
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
6,465 posts
137 reviews
4. Re: Old Town Square

During our last visit in April we noticed several stags and hen parties (in both the both Old Town and the Strip) and were quite entertained by their antics . There was no sign of any trouble, It just seemed though everyone was in high spirits and having a great time. It might be a different story if you had stags/hens in your hotel though making a lot of noise at all hours!

I kinda agree with Kippax though that there seemed to be more in the Old Town than I remember seeing over the years.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Old Town Square

Cheers for the feedback guys, as I said in my original post. I'm far from being a prude, and I was one of those groups once. Just hoping the old town stays mainly a family area.

Manchester
Level Contributor
155 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Old Town Square

Is there any certain bars you recommend for families that you use kippaxkid. Cheers.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
100 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Old Town Square

There was one called Vertigo on the main square noonoo, quite a few families sat outside. The staff were great with our Daughter, also right near all the entertainment in the square. There is also a great family fun pub over the strip side, called fat cats. Read the reviews on here, can't rate it highly enough. We caught the tourist train, over there a couple of times. Has entertainment every night for all ages, one night they do a parrot and reptile show for the kids. They also have a pool you can use, and do great food too, I'd definitely pay a visit, If you fancy a change.

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
971 posts
49 reviews
8. Re: Old Town Square

Hi Kippaxkid. I read your post with interest as we are due to visit Albufeira in 3 weeks time and have been seriously worrying about increasing amount of rowdy groups visiting. Our last visit was 5 years ago and we can't remember seeing any stags/hens in the old town though there was a rowdy group at our hotel when we first arrived. We did have a fantastic holiday though.

I've been checking the reviews of the hotel we are due to stay in and whilst they are mostly excellent, the latest one mentions stags dressed in bikinis around the pool (glad we're not travelling with children) and hens having an all night party in their room complete with screaming/swearing. Like you, I'm no prude and even find some of their antics entertaining but also find it sad that yet another beautiful resort may be turning into another Magaluf... :-(

Hopefully we'll get lucky and have a lovely two week holiday but I'm not sure if I'll take the risk next year which is a real shame.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
209 posts
269 reviews
9. Re: Old Town Square

My wife and I returned from a week in Albufeira in May and whilst we saw more Stag & hen parties in the old town none were rowdy or rude. As Cubsur says they must be aware that the local Police are armed and don;t take any trouble. I hope you still enjoy your holiday in Albufeira.

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
383 posts
61 reviews
10. Re: Old Town Square

We have just arrived home and we did see a big difference first weekend hardly any stags/hens, following weekend the strip early in the day was over run with very loud stags and we felt uneasy. First weekend was great ,2nd was like a different place & very sad. We love Albufeira old town & a beer on the strip or Oura beach late afternoon. We did say what will we do if things get any worse.

Get answers to your questions about Albufeira