We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old Town - where do we stay?

Rickmansworth...
Level Contributor
785 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Old Town - where do we stay?

We have decided on the old town but where? What are these places like- Cerro mar (some not very good reports on tripadvisor) Forte do vale, Tropical sol (again naff reports) Oura view beach club..

Any more suggestions//ideas please. We usually stay in apts but are open to hotels.

As for reviews on tripadvisor I know some folks moan about things that are quite trivial.

Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
2,651 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Old Town - where do we stay?

Most of those are not old town but are nearer the strip!! Sorry but can't recommend anywhere as live here in a house and don't trust peoples reviews!

Edited: 25 March 2015, 07:16
Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
383 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Old Town - where do we stay?

Tropical sol is a great place to stay in between strip & old town. Great value for money and is where we are staying in May. Oura view beach club is close to the strip but in a great beach location, we stayed there new year and have rebooked for same time this year. I personally wouldn't stay at Forte da vale due to a wafting smell of sewage when the wind is blowing in one direction, even though hotel and rooms are great, this is also in between old town and strip. Brisa sol is sister hotel to Tropical sol and is in a good location if you want to be closer to the old town.

Rickmansworth...
Level Contributor
785 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Old Town - where do we stay?

Thanks 572mia23 very helpful, will have a look.

Portugal
Level Contributor
4,758 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Old Town - where do we stay?

The reviews about Cerro Atlantico and Cerro Mar Garden are quite good. Negative opinions are very few and are either old or generally related to very specific problems.

Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
7,298 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Old Town - where do we stay?

Most people would advise you NOT to stay in the Old Town, or on the STRIP .. because these are the busiest, noisiest places. To be close to Old Town, I`d suggest ALMAR, BRISA SOL, VILA GALE CERRO ALAGOA on the east side, BAY VIEW, VILA RECIFE (RO), VILA SAO VICENTE and ROCAMAR west side.

Manchester
Level Contributor
68 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Old Town - where do we stay?

Which naff reports have you been reading about the Tropical Sol? It gets excellent reviews here on TA. I can personally vouch for the hotel. Its excellent. I have visited more times over the years than I care to remember, and never been disappointed. My friend is currently there and has been making me jealous by sending me wonderful pictures from her balcony and she says it's still as excellent as ever

N.Ireland
Level Contributor
124 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Old Town - where do we stay?

Hi

If I can put my tuppence worth in, we too normally stay in apartments and would definitely recommend the Baleeira Sol apartments. Beautiful views, walking distance to Old Town, beach and marina. The letting company are great and trustworthy, so much so we are returning this year renting the exact apartment we got last year.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,923 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Old Town - where do we stay?

As stated those you mention are not in the old town. I can recommend Sereia da Oura as I have stayed there.

Near enough to the strip and old town. but good for a quite sleep.(the rear apartments).

Good little bar on ground floor (Cheers) An Indian with take away and a Portugese, O Lavarador restaurant.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
182 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Old Town - where do we stay?

I would recommend the Sol e Mar hotel which is right in the Old Town, location is excellent and it has great value for money, Its a basic but very clean hotel .

I have also stayed at the cerro mar atlantico and would also recommend these, don't be put of by the bad reviews.

I am happy to answer any specific questions for you.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Old Town - where do we stay?

villa recife is really central to the old town and near beach and restaurants, really cheap and although very basic it is spotlessly clean and friendly staff

Get answers to your questions about Albufeira