We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old Town/Silmar questions

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
120 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Old Town/Silmar questions

Hi All

Heading to stay in Silmar Apartments, Rua Fernão de Magalhães, Lote 13, in 1 week and just want to ask a few quick questions!!

I am hoping to book yellowfish transfers for our journey but just want to check with them regarding picking up our keys at Cerro Mar as I know it is a bit of a distance away.

1. What way is the quickest to the old square & beach? I take it we go down the 96 steps everyone is talking about or is it near the escalators?

2. We arrive at about 8pm on Monday night – would the best place for a bite to eat be in the old square? Im guessing its not that far?

3. How far is the lidl/aldi supermarket? Would like to stock up the day after we arrive and wondering how long a walk it would be!

4. Is there anyone nearby for a coffee and free WIFI? Like to check on the emails when we are away.

5. What is the best way to get out to Algarve shopping mall? Hoping to go to Zara and mae a few purchases!

Thanks very much in advance!

x

lisburn
Level Contributor
244 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Old Town/Silmar questions

ring yellowfish and tell them what you want .im sure they will be very helpful.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
56,799 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Old Town/Silmar questions

My ten cents worth.

I am sure Yellowfish would wait for you at Cerro Mar while you picked up keys. Do ask them first as suggested. it is a bit of trek with hills to deal with, not one I would do dragging luggage.

1. What way is the quickest to the old square & beach? I take it we go down the 96 steps everyone is talking about or is it near the escalators?

Silmar is about 5 minutes walk from the old town. No steps at that end. Turn right at the bottom of the hill, keep going down and you will get to the escalators.

2. We arrive at about 8pm on Monday night – would the best place for a bite to eat be in the old square? Im guessing its not that far?

A local favourite, Alfredo's, is closed on Mondays so that's out. Rua Fernão de Magalhães is on a hill called Cerro Branco. Up there is a nice enough place called Adega do David (you will see it clearly) another place called Fabio's or you can go down into the old town by the route above. There are loads of places even before you get the square and the touts will make sure you know about them!

3. How far is the lidl/aldi supermarket? Would like to stock up the day after we arrive and wondering how long a walk it would be!

LIDL and ALDI are both about 7 or 8 minutes walk. Continente Modelo is a little closer. Reception staff will direct you. There is a small Ali Super at the bottom of the hill near the bar mentioned below.

4. Is there anyone nearby for a coffee and free WIFI? Like to check on the emails when we are away.

I can recommend a bar called One 4 the Road. However during the week they don't open until 4pm. When you come down the hill from Silmar, cross the road, turn right and it is about 50 metres down on the road. It's owned by the same bloke as owns Alfredo's restaurant opposite. The daytime bar staff is a Ukrainian girl (who speaks better English than most English people) , nighttimes British staff also at weekends when there sport on TV.

Down in the old town many bars offer free wifi. One I can recommend that is open in daytimes (except Wednesdays) and British run is called Tunes, which is near the Sol e Mar hotel at the stop of the steps by the tunnel.

5. What is the best way to get out to Algarve shopping mall? Hoping to go to Zara and mae a few purchases!

It's awkward by bus as they only go from the main bus station which is nearly a mile from Cerro Branco. A taxi will cost about 8 Euros (10 at weekends) and there is a taxi rank there for the trip back. it's big enough to be able to make a day of it. The multi screen cinema has recently re-opened and with most of the films shown in English it could be a useful rainy day venue.

There is a free bus on weekdays stopping not far away, but it is a small bus and seats are not guaranteed.

Details at www.algarvebus.info/albufeira.htm down at the bottom of the page. It's tied in with theb various hotels and I don't know if others can use it.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
120 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Old Town/Silmar questions

Thanks Danny - have emailed them and awaiting a response!

Cubsur - brilliant information and much appreciated - will be printing off and using all!!

Looking forward to it!

4. Re: Old Town/Silmar questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2014, 14:17